CLEANING SCOTCHBRITE BELTS any ideas??

JAGKNIFE

I use a medium and fine 2x72 Scotchbrite belt a lot since I do mostly scratch finishes. Do you all have any ideas on cleaning them. They seem to get a build up in the webbing. I tried my rubber belt cleaner ( do not try it it will ruin the belt).

Any ideas? washing it? these things are expensive and trying to get the most out of them.

thanks.

I have never had any "build up" in my belts. In my experience the scotch brite belts ether cut, or they don't.
Do yours still work on harden steel?

After I have used mine for about 2 years or so heavy use conditioning my final finish on harden steel I move them over to cleaning rusty, dirty garden tools etc. There is a time when I throw them out.

what in the heck are you doing to yours?

i used mine for about six months for blade finishing and it worked great, but after working on some G10 (finishing the spine of the blade) it got dirty, it doesn't cut as good as it used to i'm sure that if i have only used it for blades it would last longer but i should try and clean it before i get a new one, mayby washing it would do the trick?

If you ran it on G10, the you're gona need a new one. G10 wrecks most "cutting" items in short order.

Hey, agreed with all, I did the G10 thing one day and it was not good. the rubber sanding belt is even worse. I used them until I see a kind of marred scratch pattern coming then toss them.
I was just thinking some of you all had a "magic" trick" I will try to blow one and wash it also. The dang things are so expensive just trying to make it last a little longer.

Thanks to all..

Also I am doing a lot of Titanium knives and I do use them for that Maybe it is the softer Ti that is getting into the web.

When I look back at the hundreds of knives I finished with my progression of Scotchbrite belts, They really aren't expensive considering the amount of time they save me in my finishing work.

When you get your new ones and use them, You will slap your self in your fore head when you see again how fast and great the fresh ones work!:34:

Sorry Jagnife, I've got to jump in here and ask Lawrence if he uses two or three sizes to do one finishing job. I've never really used them. Frank

Sorry Jagnife, I've got to jump in here and ask Lawrence if he uses two or three sizes to do one finishing job. I've never really used them. Frank

Hello Frank,
Hoe are you doing?
Scotchbrite belts from 3M and the other "Woven abrasives/finishing belts" Come in a color codes of Brown/Coarse, Maroon/Medium, Blue/Fine and a Grey/Super fine. for a mid/bright satin finish I go to 220 or 400 grit on a Ceramic belt depending?

Then I go through the progression of Scotchbrites. It works great for all of my Culinary, Hunter and big camp choppers too.
A true working knife finish. Also I don't always use the last grey belt and sometimes I start at the maroon on a big camp knife depending on the brush look I want to finish with. So play with 'em and have fun!

I like to use them on my hollow grinds on hunters. I go up to a 400 grit then finish it off with a fine scotchbrite belt. Like Laurence said it makes a nice finish on a working knife. I find they don't work as well on flat grinds for me. Seems like it convexs it a little bit for me. Works great on hollow grinds though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back