Clip Point Question

Kurt Krueger

I'm making a couple of hunters with clip points. Would I be better off to grind the clips (back bevels) before grinding the primary bevels, or vice versa?

Thanks

-Kurt

Do you mean a swedge back where the top edge is partially ground like the cutting edge?

Yeah, for a short distance back from the point, the spine of is beveled at, say, 45 deg., but not sharpened. The geometry helps with piercing cuts.

-Kurt

Kurt, I grind my clips, or false edges, in after the main bevel is all done. In fact, most of the time, I grind the clips after heat treating is done and the blade is mostly hand sanded.

i also prefer to cut the swedges after the main bevels; i find i have more control of the lines that way...the lines where swedge and bevel meets.
I cut the swedges with files and sandpaper though, not with the grinder because i have not yet such control on the very little surface involved.

What grinder attachment do you use to grind the clips? I've seen it done using the bottom half of a 8" wheel, but I only have a flat platen. What I was considering doing, is fixing a 45 deg guide to the tool rest of my KmG and using that to maintain even bevel angles. That method would be considerably easier before the primary bevels are ground.

-Kurt

I free hand mine on the flat platen. I don't very often use the whole 2" width at once. Sometimes in the widest part of the clip maybe. Near the tip and where it runs into the spine near the plunge line, I use about 3/4" of the edge of the belt.

I grind mine at the very end. After the knife is complete. Tip up on the contact wheel. It takes a little practice, but really isn't too hard

Back