Clip Point WIP

There is usually steel that needs to be ground away due to scale and/or decarb layer.
I have not heat treated yet ... it’s 1084. Planning on putting into the forge until non-magnetic then quench in preheated canola. I know I’ll have some cleanup to do after.

Did I read that your edge is at a dime's thickness?

You'll have more than just clean up to do.....you'll have grinding to do. Which is why I was questioning hand sanding to 600 before heat treating.

I’m thinking it’s more like half a dime ... I’ll put calipers on it tomorrow and report back. It doesn’t seem too thick to put an edge on but I’m a beginner

I’m not scared to learn and “mess up” my 600 grit ... so I heat treat then grind the bevel down to thin enough to put an edge on. Thanks for all the guidance guys ... I’ve made a few knives that were acceptable but I want to get it right.

Last edited:
No pictures today but got back in the shop and got the blade ready for an edge .... working on the scales and had a slight issue with pin alignment but was able to remedy ... hoped to finish by Christmas but it was not to be. I’ll get it done this weekend ... I hope

So I screwed up the olivewood scales and didn’t have anymore linen micarta. A buddy of mine is a Clemson fan so I went with Purple Heart with white and orange liners. Again I have them too far back showing a big ricasso ... I may redo them since I have a bunch of all the materials but here’s a roughing view
D23E4566-14AB-4E43-A2DA-3ADCBFA38370.jpeg

I think I’m going to try my hand at brass bolsters...should look nice with the purple and will address my over exposed ricasso issue. I really need to do better at that :rolleyes:

Back