Collecting Heat Treating Service list

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
What heat treat service are you using?
If you know, put down if they are air or oil quench or both and an approximate price..

We'll put together a list...

Here's my specifics, Tracy. Put them in whatever format you want. I've done quite a few blades brought to me this last year for friends to finish out.

Black Wolf Armory - 27" digital furnace capacity, 2200 degree tool wrap and PBC coating, all stainless steels, plate and starting in April when my quenchant arrives oil for high carbon steels. I have the hardness checked at a local machine shop. Prices would range from $30 (USPS Priority Mail return shipping included) for a single tool wrap 10" OAL blade and be much cheaper per unit in larger quantity - the price to do 6 the same size would be $60, again including shipping.

I do oil hardening steels only. I charge $10 per blade for blades up to 12" and $15 for blades 12"-16" total length. These prices do not include return shipping. Return shipping will vary with the size and number of blades but will be $6 minimum.

I used Peters HT in Pa recently. 11 AEB-L blades were $100 plus $9.60 return shipping. The $100 covers up to 20 blades of the same steel. I sent them out on a Thursday and I think I had them back the next Friday. Very fast, no scale on the blades, dead straight. They can do stainless or Carbon steels, and may be able to do Clay coating for Hamons on some steels, too.

I used to use Paul Bos when I made knives years ago. He does an excellent job as well, but can't do the Carbon and oil quench steels.

Back