Colored sandpaper issues.

Mark Barone

Am I just late to the party regarding sandpaper. I really don’t concentrate on the color more than the quality. Are there colors that stain. I used a black 600 grit and had to go back down to 220. I wasn’t sure if the metal shavings of the spine was staining the wood or a little bit of water I had on there. I don’t think I was burning it baby hands a ding.

You bone head. Everyone knows that your terminology is incorrect. This thread should be titled " non judgmental sand paper of color, in this country on a legal visa ,need to know if said color legally imposes it's shading on to a legally imported substrate ? "

I usually use a blond type wood sandpaper when sanding light wood or g10 material that shows dirt. It won't last any time when used on metal but sometimes it is the only abrasive you can get away with.

I wasn’t sure if the metal shavings of the spine was staining the wood
This was probably what was happening, especially at lower grits. I find that when finishing my handles (for some reason most of my knives have ebony bolsters) there are light streaks from the maple that seem to show up until I hit 1500-2000 grit. I've even had some buffing compound get embedded in the ebony if there's any grain cracks after the 2000grit, so for the past year or so, I've been finish buffing my handles using a loose wheel and no compound.
So I guess that's a long way of saying, no, I don't think the color of the sandpaper matters, but the color of the buffing compound might.

You bone head. Everyone knows that your terminology is incorrect. This thread should be titled " non judgmental sand paper of color, in this country on a legal visa ,need to know if said color legally imposes it's shading on to a legally imported substrate ? "
There’s always one. Lol

I use the Rhynowet sand paper almost always on the blades and to some extent on wooden handles but I like to use the 120 - 400 blond paper on wood handles. I do not use the black wet/dry sand paper very much except in the high grits and then only on metal.

I used to only use 3m paper even before knife making came into the picture ... recently started buying from redline abrasives and have been happy.

I use the Rhynowet sand paper almost always on the blades and to some extent on wooden handles but I like to use the 120 - 400 blond paper on wood handles. I do not use the black wet/dry sand paper very much except in the high grits and then only on metal.
Yes I think the high grit black was the culprit it was wet , and the black slush I think stained it. I fixed it and won’t do that again.

Back