Completed GIB / EERF Grinder with Tool Rest

Z.Heiner

Well guys it has been awhile since I have been on. Maybe the 4 kids and hectic schedule have something to do with it.

I must thank Wayne Coe and Jamie @ Polar Bear for their help on this project. I had to sell/trade/barter to come up w/the funds for my new found hobby, but is was a fun experience putting this all together.

I custom mounted the Speed Control box above the motor. It has the capability of swiveling from side to side.

I also went with a custom V Twin spring setup on the upper arm.

Yes as a whole it is a little cheesy, but as I said, I had fun with it. Already jacked up the paint by trying to steady the dang belt!! My first wheel came directly from SunRay, and it was shaped like an egg!!

I am a new at posting, so please let me know if I can do things differently/better. I tried posting my photos on a different thread, and ended up just putting the link to the pictures.

Zack:3:

http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums.../blademaven/?action=view&current=101_1642.jpg

Great paint job... and even better handle.

101_1640.jpg

Great paint job... and even better handle.

Thanks, It's a Tow Hook of my old Ford 4X4. It works great.

You know I will never own a Lamborghini, Porsche, or whatever. So I thought my mid-life crisis better have some Racing Stripes!

Zack

Nice Job! I never did paint mine and would be scadalized if anyone saw a pic of it, but it gets a lot of work done for me.
You need to get that thing dirty!

I don't see anything wrong with that, at all. Very nice. That paint job looks good and that tow hook handle is nice addition.

Thanks for the kind words guys!, And the motivation/support to get out there and explore this hobby. I agree, the beast needs some dirt on her. :)

Looks great brother! The paint job is fantastic, and the huge blue wheel is awesome. :thumbup: Is that a 14-incher from Sunray? If you don't mind me asking, what did the wheel end up costing?
Erin

The wheel looks bigger in the photo. It is a 10" wheel and it cost me $182.87. I dealt with Kieth (keitha@sunray-inc.com). I think he said the price was due to increase a little.

Zack

Zack,

Great looking GIB! Puts mine to shame! Yours demonstrates that making the GIB from Polar Bear Forge's kit is as enjoyable as grinding a knife. I too enjoyed building mine. Having no metal working skills, it took me a while, dozens of trips to the hardware store and a broken tap! But, I was in no hurry and that let me spread the purchase of components over several months which seemed to lessen the burden of the overall cost.

Have you thought about whether the GIB could be put on a hinged base that could rotate the grinder 90 degrees to the left as the direct drive Wilmont Grinder (see Wilmont's sub-forum)? I was wondering about that.

Jay

Thanks Zack. I would have guessed that it was at least a 12-incher. It looks huge.

The wheel looks bigger in the photo. It is a 10" wheel and it cost me $182.87. I dealt with Kieth (keitha@sunray-inc.com). I think he said the price was due to increase a little.

Zack

Its a beaut. You put a lot into it and it really shows. Wayne's a good dude; don't let the hat fool you.

Frede

Jay you can make it rotate to make a horizontal grinder. Just make sure and leave about 1.5" behind the motor so that air can circulate. If you use hinges you will have to block it up. I add a piece of plywood screwed vertically and use shelf brackets to stiffen it up.

Sticks, my build took quite some time as well. I am very handy and have a decent mechanical ability, but it was a big learning curve. I broke (2) 1/4 taps (one of which is still in the metal plate with the "Maven" logo) and one 1/2 tap. I also completely snapped the ratcheting tap handle which came back and bit me on the hand pretty good! I try not to buy cheap Chinese tools, but sometimes that's all I can find. The taps were Irwin (USA).

Luckily there is a new Home Depot 1 mile away. I can't count the trips!!

I think it would be very possible to hinge the device. I am curious to weigh it. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

OK post didn't go through earlier. I had a friend over to see the grinder. We weighed the beast.

148 pounds!!!!!! Maybe I won't try and go horizontal with it.

Zack,

I broke one tap, spent a week trying to get it out. Finally gave up and drilled a "replacement hole" next to the original and the finished grinder is no worse for it, but you guys who have made one would sure notice.
I learned that it is better to drill the hole to be tapped all the way trough the steel, 'cause when you hit the bottom of a hole, one more twist and...SNAP!

Jay
IMG00008-20110312-1017.jpg

Back