Contact wheel or flat platen

Keith Willis

I received a set of NWG plans from Tracy,all of you already know him,however I have just started dealing with him,and I will say,anything that I cannot get free from others,I will be purchasing from him.THIS GUY IS GREAT,THANKS TRACY.
Back to my question.Given that money is in short supply,for me anyway,and at the moment can I only get what is necessary.What should I buy for all around grinding,such as,a flat platen,or a contact wheel(If a contact wheel,what size).The only thing I have used in the 2 years that I have made knives is a Sears 4x36,very slow,and I am working on my third sander.They don't last very long.
Also,and I know this may be an elementary question,for anyone that has built a NWG what size should the plywood base be?

Thanks for any help,God bless,Keith

If money is very tight just go with the platen for now. You can make a lot of nice knives with that setup, but don't neglect to grab the contact wheel sometime down the road when you can afford it, hollow grinding for some people is harder to do but it's a skill well worth learning.

I can tell you from first hand knowledge anything will be a huge improvement over the 4 x36, I used one for a long time. I would say go with the platen, for one you are used to grinding flat and a platen is a little more versatale.

With that said though I was very intimidated by hollow grinding until I tried it. After the first few hollow ground I found that it is a little easier for me than flat grinding. I also do most of my shaping on the wheel. So you want to plan on getting a wheel as soon as you can, I would go with at least 10".

Sean

Thanks Les,for the welcome and the advice.I have been looking around here for a little while,GREAT SITE.
If it is ok I may post this same question over in Blade Forums,just to see what they think.
Thanks again,God bless,Keith

I havn't used anything other than a platen for over 10 years.
Its a very personal choice, as bad as boxers or briefs.

Thanks Sean,you are right,that 4x36 is almost useless,as far as steel.I bought it,not having a clue about knifemaking.They replaced the first 2 the next one,they said,would have to be sent off.
I have started gathering things up for my NWG.I have been like a kid at Christmas,going over the plans.Looks like I'll go with the flat platen,however,if I feel ok with hollow grinding,would I be able to do most all of my grinding on a wheel

Thanks,God bless,Keith

I just got a rotating platen and have had my flat platen on maybe one time in the past month. Round wheels are great for most anything, they save belts too.

If you are just learning, hollow grinding is easier as the knife stays in the groove easier. Flat grinding is (only) slightly harder as the blade tends to rock a little until you get the feel for it. Then they are both no problem.

If money is absolutely tight, get the flat platen and then a contact wheel. The flat platen has few more uses. I prefer a hollow grind. I guess I'm a boxer man...

Thanks to all.I think I am going to go with a contact wheel,and get the platen as soon as my money will allow.Don't know if all have seen it or not,but,Tracy has a rotating fixture on his site,that was designed by JT,at JT CoustomKnives,JT is over on Blade Forums.His fixture has a contact wheel(i think 8''),a flat platen,and a slack belt all on one fixture.I am going to check into that.

Again,Thanks to all.God bless,Keith

Welcome, Just my 2c worth here. I'd go with the rotateing platten you just described. I ground alot of knives with an 8" wheel. You will learn to manipulate the wheel to make what you want to happen. Plus you'll have a platten for flat grinding. $ for $ thats your best way to go.

Keith I mentioned this on your other thread, but I'll say it again, I would not go with a wheel over the platen. I am of the exact same opinion as Tracy - I prefer to hollow grind, but the platen has more uses, especially if you can have only one contact wheel.

I just got a 12" wheel and If I had known what I could do with one before I got the flat platen I never would have gotten a Flat platen.

I noticed on your introduction that you live just down the road from me. I live over in Oak Grove on the west side of Hattiesburg. I'm just starting out, but I just got my grinder with both the platten and 10" wheel. You're more than welcome to come over and try them both out sometime to help you decide.

Murph

When I got my KMG I got both the Platten and an 8" wheel. I use the Platen almost exclusively. I just can't get comfortable with the wheel right now. I want to make some quality knives so I am sticking with the Platen and will learn the wheel later.

Hay Keith, Keep us posted on that build, I would like to see it.
I don't live far from you either, In McHenry, About 24 mi north of Gulf Port, Maybe I can run over there and see it ,when complete.
Jerry

Dear Big,
Welcome to the dog pack and step into the most informative knife makers site available. The plans for the no weld grinder can be had from Tracy, the Boss Dog at Midwest Knifemakes Supply. Just click on his forum listed under knifemaking supplies. Also, if you search the no weld grinder on this site there are several posts and a youtube tutorial. It is a great piece and will grow with you during your knifemaking career.
Regards,
Steve Janik

Thanks guys.
Hey Jerry,I am going to post pic of the build,as soon as I get everything I need.With Physcal Thearpy,Doc appointments and Christmas,I have had to put it on hold,but I hope to get back on it after the first of the year.

God bless,Keith

Back