Copper + Buffalo = Nice

Travis Fry

Here's one of my best. Ya'll have seen this style before but this is what it's SUPPOSED to look like. I'm trying to get a little better at making sheaths too. I didn't measure it, but these are usually about 7.3-7.5" OAL with a 3-3.2" blade. Steel is 1080 with a 600 grit satin finish.

150forum.jpg

Last edited:
So you do or don't like the way the knife came out Travis? LOL

Knife looks great man. I love copper and the black horn makes it pop.

JD, I DO like it but it isn't perfect. I think there were about 5 things I noticed that I could have done better, but shoot, it still looks pretty. I for sure will be using buffalo more often. This is the second time I've used it and I just love it. Stinks, but has an unmatchable look.

LOL...yeah, don't ya just love the smell of burning hair.

Well, as Billy says you should be proud. Came out great.

You didn't give us the specs on the blade?

Excellent!!!

Personally am very tired of brass.

So, thank you very much for the fine use of copper harrdware. 2thumbs

That looks great Travis.
I need to head out to Cedar Park and watch you work sometime, looks like I could learn a lot from you.

Diver, you're welcome any time. Not sure I could teach you much, but it'd be fun to hang out at least. I'll PM you my phone #. Added the specs above.

Last edited:
So I like, :rolleyes:No I mean I really like it! 2thumbs
Tell us more about the copper. I have thought of using copper for bolters but don't know where to get the material thick enough to work with! Did you pour the bolsters? Is the copper thru and thru or is it a coating? I would really love to hear more about the copper!

I got the copper in a trade from someone, so I don't really know where it came from. I wish I did because I'm gonna need more after maybe 4 more knives. It's from a solid chunk about 3/8" thick or so by about 4" wide, and I just cut what I needed with the bandsaw. I pinned the bolsters on using ground wire from Lowe's. 11/64 i think it was, but they've got lots of sizes. All the barstock I've gotten has been from trades, so I'm as interested as you to find where i can get it for reasonable prices in thicker sizes.

Back