Cottonwood as a scale/handle material

Sean Jones

Hello

I had a large cottonwood tree in our front yard which has been cut down and have a lot of it still, including a solid piece of the stump. It is considered a softwood I believe. This was more than three years ago so the remaining wood is well cured

Has anyone had any experience using cottonwood, or similar, for knife handles? I'll post some pics tomorrow when it warms up if needed

Last edited:
Cottonwood is a beautiful wood.. It is often very curly figured and has amazing chatoyance (spelling) reflective?? Its PRETTY! lol and makes a great knife handle material.. But in my experience. it needs to be pro stabilized to be a viable handle material.

Thanks Randy

I have thought of trying to stabilize it myself. Perhaps I'll try that and also get some professionally stabilized.

Self stabilizing is well.. Let me just say in my opinion and experience not up to par for this wood, and will almost certainly come back to bite you later. After you spend all the time and money to do the "self stabilize" Then all the time and efforts to fit and shape the handles.. only to have problems with the handle later.. Its just not worth it IMO.

Also like you already said, it is a soft wood.. And really needs the added benefit that pro stabilization adds to it! strength, hardness and weight.. :)

Have fun.
Randy

I would suggest you send it to Mike at WSSI or do the K & G supply for Stabilizing.

I too wasted money screwing around with a Pressure cooker and pump and mini wax Etc!
It cost less in the long run to send it to the pro's!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks guys

I'll look at getting some done professionally then. You're right. It doesn't always pay to do it yourself.

I would suggest you send it to Mike at WSSI or do the K & G supply for Stabilizing.

I too wasted money screwing around with a Pressure cooker and pump and mini wax Etc!
It cost less in the long run to send it to the pro's!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/
Yep on that. Laurence! I suggest sending it to WSSI. Mike at WSSI gets all my business for good reason. Their turnaround is quick. Just make sure the wood you send is good and dry.
One of my shipments was delayed because of our big Iowa flood a couple of years ago. WSSI was an island surrounded by water!

Laurence, you have reply MSG mail. Is good to hear from ya, Laurence!

I have a big 200 or so pound walnut root system I dug out with a pal's trackhoe and some big chunks of oak burl to get cut, dried, and stabilized. It's drying in the shop. I also of course, have Osage always drying, too.

My shop is my natural wood drying system. I figure a year per inch.

I was able to buy some already stabilized . It has rays of red,yellow, and greens going through it. Definitely something unique

Last edited:
Nothing to add, really. Just wanted to say that I've experimented with home stabilization and found that it's not worth the bother or mess. I've got some wood that need stabilization and it's going out to a professional outfit.

Doug

Back