Countersinking Ti ???

Plas62

I'm working on my first linerlock and this morning was trying to countersink the .055" Ti liners using a Toolmex #0 HSS 82° Zero Flute countersink.

I tried running it at 1180 rpm with cutting oil and almost completely countersunk one hole before burning up the bit. It was a double ended countersink, so I flipped it over changed to 670 rpm and tried to complete the hole I had started. I could see it start to smoke, so I stopped before completely burning up the bit this time, it did not appear to be cutting at all.

The hole size is #44 (.086") clearance for 2-56 screw.

I either have the wrong tool or am using the wrong feed & speed or both. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Jim

http://www.toolmex.com/Products/custom/TechDetails.aspx?itemid=5-652-8200

Last edited:
Jim,
When I am counter boring titanium,I go as slow as my drill press will go,use the Tapmatic thick cutting oil(so thick it reminds me of honey) and then, using a heavy feed rate ,peck at it to keep from overheating the ti. I do the same when counter sinking as well.

Agree, when I first started doing folders I had the same problems. Now I do all my drilling using carbide bits. All mill work with the exception of counterboring is done with carbide tooling. I use a HSS piloted counterbore in my mill turning at 100 rpm with Tap Magic heavy oil and do not let it overheat at all. Titanium kills HSS tooling quickly any other way.

Back