Cousin Shot By Bad Guys

UPDATE***The doctors say all of Katie's wounds should heal with no problem, with the exception of the blown out calf muscle. It could not be surgically "closed" do to the amount of damage, so they will probably have to do some type of reconstructive surgery. On Wednesday when her normal "shift" would have begun, her entire squad and commanding officer came to her hospital room to do their "Role Call" prior to heading out onto the streets, so she would not be left out...I thought that was a very nice gesture on their part. She received many, many visitors; family, fellow officers, members of the church, and friends. So many flowers were coming in that the hospital started storing them in an unused room next to hers. Thank you again for all your good wishes and prayers.

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. My son is a cop so this story especially hits home. I remember hearing this story when it first hit the news.
I am glad that the news for her recovery sounds extremely encouraging for your cousin. Tell her she has our prayers and that the support of all those in blue!
Too many people do not understand the job that a cop does but, everyday the go out and lay there life on the line to serve and protect the public. Some of who thing they are brutal scum and no accounts but they are the first to call them when they need something. That attitude just burns me up! Most do the job because they love it. It is sure not for the pay. There is not too many of us out there that lay our lives on the line everyday when we go to work but they do!
I will say a prayer for a full recovery not only physically but mentally. An incident like this will play on her mind for sometime to come.

God bless your cousin and all the other officers out there that work daily to keep the public safe. I hope the people who shot her are off the streets for a long time.

Doug Lester

My heart goes out to your cousin and all her fellow officers. Their job is dangerous enough without idiots ambushing them. Why can't they realize they are keeping the streets as safe as possible.

Pat

UPDATE: Katie is almost completely healed and hopefully will return to full duty before too long. Her injuries have healed better than expected, considering being shot six times. All you "well wishers" haven't seen Katie so I thought I'd post a pic of her shown here, holding a knife I sent her a few months back...before her incident.

Last edited:
Scalphunter,

I don't know how I missed your original post but I am glad to hear that your cousin is doing well. Cops face a tough, mostly thankless job but they can be assured that there many of us that appreciate them more than we can ever say. Tell her I said thanks for her service and wish her all the best.

Carey

INTERVIEW / COMMENTARY: Katie is nearly healed after surviving the 6 gunshot wounds, and was recently interviewed and presented the "Devon Community Hero Award" for bravery. Click the link, then scroll down to "Community" and click "Devon Community Hero Award to see the interview/commentary and hear the dispatcher recording of her calling for assistance after the incident...she did well. www.thunder.nba.com

Back