Coywolf in progress

It looks a little disproportionate for my taste. That said you could use it where the Lanyard hole is and put a smaller pin closer to the Ricaso? Or move the Wolf pin back towords the lanyard hole and put a smaller pin again near the Ricaso and use 3 pins? Again all my opinion!

Looks good to me the way it is but you could see how it looks by doing away with the lanyard hole and centering the howling wolf there and see how you like it.

Doug

I think the wolf pin wouldn't look so large if it were toward the back more, where the handle is broader. And, then a smaller pin closer to the front, And, as others said, I think the wolf pin would fit even better in place of the lanyard hole. The wolf pin rocks on it's own and if you don't have an actual practical need for a lanyard, I think I would just have the wolf pin where the lanyard hole was, and a smaller pin toward the front. That let's the wolf pin shine without the distraction of the lanyard ole....how's that for confusing?! I actually really like the first knife, but you asked for the next one. Nice work, though!

I like it where it is, but I think it would look good in place of the lanyard tube too with a smaller pin forward as others have said.

I love the wolf but I think it looks a bit too big. I also love lanyard holes so I don't know what to tell you! Great looking blade though!

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I might go with most suggestion and lose the lanyard and move the pin back to the back. Of course my piece is already hardened and I will have to somehow drill a bigger hole on the back without ruining too many bits. Will a propane torch soften that area? I am making a video (set to music) of the WIP and will post it when I finish it. It might PG there is a little blood involved.

Been there and done that in drilling holes in a hardened tang. I have read of makers doing it with carbide and slow speed. I must be doing something wrong because it’s never worked for me. Might be better to protect the blade and anneal the tang if initial drilling doesn’t work.

Maybe a different scale color would help. My initial thought was maybe add a bolster and move the pin back a little but then I think the lanyard hole will be problematic. Its not bad to my eye like it is I am just used to a certain pin placement and everything else takes some getting used to. I would choose a different handle wood though.

Been there and done that in drilling holes in a hardened tang. I have read of makers doing it with carbide and slow speed. I must be doing something wrong because it’s never worked for me. Might be better to protect the blade and anneal the tang if initial drilling doesn’t work.

Yup I just tried some techniques with backwoods drill bit. A carbide bit isn’t getting through it. I might go a different route and not even use the wolf pin on this one. At least I know my blade hardened.

Maybe a different scale color would help. My initial thought was maybe add a bolster and move the pin back a little but then I think the lanyard hole will be problematic. Its not bad to my eye like it is I am just used to a certain pin placement and everything else takes some getting used to. I would choose a different handle wood though.

Yes, I’m not a fan of the scale color either. I have what I think is a dark mahogany that I will go with. It’s a Damascus blade so maybe I’ll just let the Damascus be the focus.

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I might go with most suggestion and lose the lanyard and move the pin back to the back. Of course my piece is already hardened and I will have to somehow drill a bigger hole on the back without ruining too many bits. Will a propane torch soften that area? I am making a video (set to music) of the WIP and will post it when I finish it. It might PG there is a little blood involved.

Yes a propane torch will heat it up enough to soften it. You will loose the hardness obviously where you heat it. I've even done this on forward holes. Wrap the blade with a paper towel folded over so its relatively thick, soak it in water. If you can suspend the knife in a can of water? Heat it to a dull red and let it air cool. It should soften it enough to get your bit thru. In either case I would wrap with a water soaked paper towel just in case. I had to do this on the knife I just finished! If you look at the Tribute knife thread you'll be able to see a Blue line where the Ricaso is. That's where the wet paper towel was wrapped around the blade.

Last edited:
Mark,I would leave everything the way it is. the only thing I would suggest is bringing your grind up higher being it's Damascus, to show the pattern more. as for the shape and handle pin location I must be missing something because it looks ok to me.
I'd finish it, call it a day and move on to the next one.
replacing the scales, moving the pins, heating the blade to drill it...you may be opening a can of worms here.
I'd think long and hard before making any of these changes.

Mark,I would leave everything the way it is. the only thing I would suggest is bringing your grind up higher being it's Damascus, to show the pattern more. as for the shape and handle pin location I must be missing something because it looks ok to me.
I'd finish it, call it a day and move on to the next one.
replacing the scales, moving the pins, heating the blade to drill it...you may be opening a can of worms here.
I'd think long and hard before making any of these changes.
That is not his knife, he is just making one like it and was asking opinions about the placement on that knife.

Back