CPM 154 or ATS -34 ?

Tod Lowe

Hey guys,
I have been reading the best steel thread and I see CPM 154 being chose alot in the stainless category.
Its double the cost of ATS -34.
Is it really twice as good and what quality is the extra money going for?

And where can I buy some M4? :)

Thanks.

Cleaner steel and twice the lateral strength of ATS. It also grinds as easy and finishes out with a nicer finish.

Almost the same. CPM makes a powder metallurgy so it's purer, more prone to grind and to finish.
Powder metallurgy is preferable if the cost it's not so higher.

Hey guys,
I have been reading the best steel thread and I see CPM 154 being chose alot in the stainless category.
Its double the cost of ATS -34.
Is it really twice as good and what quality is the extra money going for?

And where can I buy some M4? :)

Thanks.

No it's not twice as good but given the amount of steel used in an average hunting knife your only talking a few dollars which to many is worth it.

Almost the same. CPM makes a powder metallurgy so it's purer, more prone to grind and to finish.
Powder metallurgy is preferable if the cost it's not so higher.

I thought ats-34 was almost the same as 154cm not cpm154?

I could be very wrong though(wouldnt be the first time):D

Ern, the chemistry on all three is dang near the same. The major difference is, CPM (Crucible particle metallurgy) is a "powdered" steel which makes it more uniform with smaller carbides. That's a good thing. Gives a boost to toughness, edge-holding, polishability, machineability, pretty much a step up across the board.

Here's Crucible's explanation of the CPM process. Pretty fascinating stuff if you ask me.

As Cliff said, I think the CPM version is always worth it, you're only talking a few dollars per blade. Plus it's a value-added thing... many knowledgeable buyers know this stuff and don't mind paying a bit more for the better steel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

The cost of most of the steels is really not bad but the shipping sucks.
If I could go down to the store and buy the steel it would be an easy choice.
Since im buying online I am getting a break on the shipping by buying in quantity.
Its 52.50 extra for a stick of cpm 154 cm multiply that by a few sticks it will add up.
The price difference is not much when just comparing by the inch.

I dont really do any mirror finishes so thats not a big advantage. Better edge holding is a plus though since I build user knives.

I will probably get one stick of it and try it when I order again. I may just get a sampler platter of steel next time I order.:D
Thanks again for the replies.:cool:

Hi Tod,
I used ATS-34 for years with great results, but the recent supplies of it is not as clean as it used to be, a real pain with surface pits! I switched to the cpm 154 and really like it for finishing & consistant heat treating. Plus it's made in the U.S. and that makes it more sell-able. I also like the cpms30v for an extremely tough knife that takes a great edge.
Sincerely,
Clint Sampson
Sampson Knifeworks

Back