curing clay lining in my new forge

Grouser

I lined the bottom with clay. Please comment on the shape if it needs redoing, first time for me. Don't want to cure it before final shaping.
Hope should I cure it? Just stay a chock fire and get to work,,,take hot coals from another coal forge and slow cure it? thanksCapture+_2020-01-22-22-39-35.png

It would be better if you made the "funnel" much larger. The more coal you can use to create a "beehive", The better.

When it comes to curing, that's the tough part..... it needs to cure NATURALLY. If you force it to cure, it's going to crack/break, and likely not last more than a couple of firings. That holds true with not only clay, but any type of castable refractory...... the more you force it to cure, the more you shorten it's lifespan.

Last edited:
Just as a reference point, I just relined our woodstove. Kao wool lining, ridgidizer cure for 24 hours, refractory cement ,(1/8" thick) cure 36 hours, low starter fire for 12 hours. Regular hot fire only then.

thank you both for your help. someone suggested I remix the clay with 50/50 clay/sand mixture. Says it will last longer. What say you?

Last edited:
Back