Curious Disk Grinder Question ??

backtines

Hey guys ,

Just wondering if any of you use some type of pad or backing on your 9" disk grinder ?

If so , can you tell me the advantages ?

I curently dont use anything on mine, because an old man gave me my first three tips on knife makeing.. #1 Flat , #2 Flat , #3 Flat. So with this in mind it kinda goes against the rule .. Maybe ??

Your thoughts please....

Thanks

I use an eighth inch rubber pad on one side and the other is steel only. The steel only side has an eighty grit disc and the padded side ,I run 220'400' 1000 grit on it to finish the flats. One advantage on a disc is that you can rotate the blank to change the angles that it is cutting at to remove all the scratches and to help see them better.
The padded side has less bump to it while you are using it.

all of my aluminum pads have a rubber pad. just thick enough for a little bit of give when you press the blade to disc. it is all touch, hate that part but oh well. my discs are 6" and 8".
Scott

I use a rubber type pad for 60 grit but all my other discs have a thin cork gasket that came from an auto parts store. They still allow for flat grinding but don't give that chatter the metal alone will give. Frank

All good stuff guys. It looks like the consensus is to have a backing on my disk..

Another question is .. Removable disks ?? Is there a clip on deal where I can use removable disks? I have the solid aluminum 9" with a 1 or 2* bevel. Do you glue the paper right to the pad or use some type of removable disk that attaches to the aluminum one?

I have the Nielsen disk system on mines, there's a magnetic hub and removable disks. Haven't tried using disks without rubber pads, all of mines have them by advice from Wayne Coe. For the removable abrasive disks, I applied 3M feather adhesive to each one of the disks (portion that's attaches to the hub- not the abrasive disks themselves.

Here's my setup.

Watch Tracy's video on www.USAKnifemaker.com He explains it all very well. Then like Mudman and others have said get the Nielsen Interchangeable Disk System. BTW Mudman, nice build.
Also see my post on the thread about what speed buffer should I buy about gluing a piece of carpet on a disk for a safe way to buff.

Let me know if I can help you.

Back