Custom kiritsuke gyuto

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Its my version of a kiritsuke gyuto, Please correct me if Im wrong about the name of this blade profile.. Im still learning. :) Butch Barner made the marcarta and This was the first time I used his stuff.. Its very nice! and the colors are rich and vibrant.

Comments and cretiques welcomed.

Specs.
OAL 13"
Blade 1095 HC steel 8 1/4"
height. at heel 1 3/4" or 46mm
Thickness at spine is.101" or 2.56mm
Gradual taper to the tip .031" or .79mm
Weight 7.2 oz.

Chefknifetake2056.jpg
Chefknifetake2062.jpg
Chefknifetake2064.jpg
Chefknifetake2066.jpg
Chefknifetake2069.jpg
Chefknifetake2089.jpg
Chefknifetake2053.jpg
Chefknifetake2007.jpg

Domo origato Mr Bubba-san.. :) you know I love colors and like to try new stuff. when I seen this "new" marcarta burl. I had to test it out..

Great job Randy! That is one fine looking knife you got there. Everything about it looks better than the last kitchen knife I saw of yours, and that one was mighty fine as well! I really like how you straightened out the edge in the profile, much more of a japanese "gyuto" shape. I usually like taller knives but I also think the profile on this one lends itself to the narrower lines. I think you got the thickness right, not anorexic but thin. I notice too you gently eased in on the choil for a little more finger room, a nice touch. That handle looks to be nicely shaped and of course Butch's micarta is damn near bombproof so you picked a great material for hard use and as usual from Butch it looks fantastic. Well done sir. You have obviously been taking some cues from the right people in the right places.

Now a few more questions... how hard is it? Why 1095? Are you going to force a patina again? How much? :3:

Thanks Dan and Mr Potato42. :)

Great complements from you both. I have been working on bettering the designs, not reinventing the wheel, Just making the knives more user friendly, On this one, I did relieve the choil like you said, I also rounded or semi rounded it and the spine.. should be a real pleasure to use..

Potato42, Ill send you a PM..

Randy

Back