Damascus Bowie

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
I'm finally getting back to work on the first damascus I made on my press when I got it this spring. This one is a 360 layer raindrop pattern. The guard is 90 layer raindrop pattern. This is the first s-guard I have made.

The handle shown is just a template, I will be using a piece of ironwood burl on this one. I'm thinking I might do some type of spacer also.

I drew a sketch with the handle design and a spacer. I figured I might as well challenge myself by making it a coined spacer.

Since I have never made a spacer, let alone a coined one, I figured I better practice. I used a piece of curly maple that was dyed black and stabilized. I think it came out pretty good.

After rounding the edges a little.

Gene this is just a suggestion but I was at a ABS Hammer-in and there was class on knife design that Kevin Cashen did. He basically went over how to make a Knife with that type of guard you are making. He suggested to put a spacer behind the guard the same length as the ricasso. So its like a mirror image of the ricasso. I like the look of the mirror Image. Its whatever you like though it has nothing to do with Performance of the Blade. Looking forward to see the pattern in the blade

How about a little bit more graceful curve in the "S" guard?

Another good suggestion! Something about the guard has been bugging me and after getting the spacers and handle slotted and fit to the blade, I think I'm going to back up and rework the guard. Smooth the curves, thin it up and probably shorten it up a bit.

This is one of the bad habits I need to break. I made the blade and guard before I drew the knife design.

I always draw first and ask questions later:rolleyes:.

I like your guard, however it is a part of the knife that is hard to “read” whether it fits the knife or not. I just finished making one and just finished tossing it. I might now just go with a simple oval. It’s a lot of work to then say, naw I don’t like it. I probably should just make it out of play doh first.

I'm one who simply cannot draw, then make.....even if it's something as simply as a dog house! My mind must work differently..... I always get a picture in my head of the finished product.....then mentally take the steps backwards through the process(es).....working out the "problems" as I go....then I just reverse everything in my head and build it.

The one place I do draw, is folders.....that's because it takes me several "prototypes" of the same folder, before I get everything worked out.

I might now just go with a simple oval
I had to smile at that...... sometimes a "simple oval" is the most darn difficult thing to incorporate into a knife build. It's matching up the top/bottom ricasso with the top/bottom of handle that always gives me fits..... without messing up the oval guard that is. ;)

Ed, that is my favorite way to build things. I think I get more creativity in a project that way. I’ve always loved doing the cabinet jobs that are a build and figure it out as you go, like this 14’ tall mantle I built.

My problem with carrying this over to the knife making is the lack of experience in it, so I have to do more backing up and redoing things.

I think this looks better.

Ed, that is my favorite way to build things. I think I get more creativity in a project that way. I’ve always loved doing the cabinet jobs that are a build and figure it out as you go, like this 14’ tall mantle I built.

My problem with carrying this over to the knife making is the lack of experience in it, so I have to do more backing up and redoing things.

I think this looks better.

That is spot on.

Back