Damascus etching question / problem.

Txcwboy

I dont use Damascus much and wondered why mine etch was dark and their etch was nice and detailed. They are both Alabama Damascus. It was etch in Radio Shack stuff . Cleaned with windex.
Mine is the dark one.
thanks

Dave

damas1.jpgdamas2.jpg

Looks to me like the different billets are comprised of different materials. (meaning that it looks like each billet has different types of steels/metals) Both have what I would call a "muddy" etch on them. In my experience that generally is a result of poor forging technique.

The top one looked like the bottom one before I ground on it and shaped it. Its from Brad over at Alabama Damascus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What dilution of the Ferric Chloride are you using. Is the smaller knife all heat treated or just the cutting edge?

I think it was just straight Ferric. Its a mini prybar and its Heat treated just like a blade.Heated to red healed there for a few minutes then dunked in peanut oil. Double tempered at 400.

Mix the ferric three or four parts water to each part ferric. After your etch(ten or so minutes) , spray with windex and then water or acetone. Then lightly wet sand with high grit sandpaper to just hit the high spots. Repeat until you like what you see. If it is not correctly hardened, it will still look like crap. If hardened through it should look like the other pic you posted.

Too long in the etching acid can produce a washed out looking pattern. Don't embaress me by asking how I know. Frank

Mix the ferric three or four parts water to each part ferric. After your etch(ten or so minutes) , spray with windex and then water or acetone. Then lightly wet sand with high grit sandpaper to just hit the high spots. Repeat until you like what you see. If it is not correctly hardened, it will still look like crap. If hardened through it should look like the other pic you posted.

Yep, and use distilled water if possible.

It looked good as I took it out. Then it went dark by the time I got it all cleaned off and neutralized. I ll try that method and see what happens.

thanks
Dave

I work with Alabama Damascus often, and use radio shacks ferric chloride. I like to give a slow deep etch, about half an hour soak then clean/ neutralize. Followed by a light surface polish with 1200 grit paper glued onto a hard flat surface like Micarta. Sometime it takes a second etch to get the desired darkness and always follow up with the light surface polish.
I do agree with most, that properly hardened Damascus etches better than annealed or soft Damascus. Remember absolutely clean steel before etch, finger prints and dirt will contaminate your etching solution and give poor results. Hope this info helps ! I forgot to add as many have mentioned, it is best to dilute your ferric chloride, many folks use distilled water. I use a 50/50 mix of ferric and white vinegar. I also use my solution cold for the long slow soak, a warm solution would definitely speed things up. I have always heard that a slow etch is better than a fast one.
Sincerely,
Clint

Last edited:
I think it was just straight Ferric. Its a mini prybar and its Heat treated just like a blade.Heated to red healed there for a few minutes then dunked in peanut oil. Double tempered at 400.

I am not a master heat treater like Ed is, but during your heat treating are you checking it with a magnet to make sure it has gone to non-magnetic before your quench?

You may not be getting it hot enough for a proper heat treatment? As others have stated that will effect how well it will etch.

I just use Vinegar, Drop it in and check it until it looks like I want then sand with 1000-2000 grit wet & dry. Some times I leave it over night and do two etch and sand sessions. When I am done I can just pour the vinegar down the drain.

Back