Damascus Filet / Boning knife.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Heres one I made for a local guy. After talking with him and his needs. The knife will be mainly used as a boning knife. to break down deer and large game. Yet its got enough flex to be a very suitable filet knife

The blade is a new HHH High Carbon mix. With spalted Hack Berry from Craig Stevens. The wood is so amazing. Stainless pins with stainless and brass star mosaic pin. Approx 8" on the cutting edge. with approx 1" secondary edge. Which has proven very helpful and useful on this style knife.

Thanks and God Bless YA!
Randy

Attachments

• Filet knife HHH Knives 012 (800x533).jpg
    Filet knife HHH Knives 012 (800x533).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Filet knife HHH Knives 022 (800x533).jpg
    Filet knife HHH Knives 022 (800x533).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Filet knife HHH Knives 026 (800x533).jpg
    Filet knife HHH Knives 026 (800x533).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Filet knife HHH Knives 027 (800x533).jpg
    Filet knife HHH Knives 027 (800x533).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Filet knife HHH Knives 036 (800x533).jpg
    Filet knife HHH Knives 036 (800x533).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 26
Very nice looking and functional Boner.

Also some very attractive Hack berry scales.

I am not sure what you are referring to with this 1" secondary edge? The Swedge on top?
Please explain?

Cheers!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence, Thanks for the comments on the knife.

The secondary edge is a sharpened area on the spine just at the tip. It allows for making small back cuts if necessary when separating / boning large animals. And works pretty darn good when filleting a fish!

Beautiful Randy, and quite an inovative idea on the tip. I can see where this would greatly enhance penetration as well. Whats the new damascus mix???

Im assuming you did the grinds after HT ?

God Bless
Mike

Laurence, Thanks for the comments on the knife.

The secondary edge is a sharpened area on the spine just at the tip. It allows for making small back cuts if necessary when separating / boning large animals. And works pretty darn good when filleting a fish!

Thanks Randy,
It's a matter of terminology
I have always heard of that referred to as a "Swedge" or "False Edge" if not sharpened..

It's your knife and you can call it what you wish.

Mike,
This has been a possible feature on knives and swords for hundreds of years.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurance, Its a good thing you are hear so I learn how to say stuff right! ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments on this one. I cant say exactly what the new mix is but Its HIGH CARBON. and this blade is RC 60 :D

God Bless
Randy

hehehe!!! :D

The knife turned out great and Im gona get to show it off to some other knife makers tomorrow!

Thanks NPD..

Back