Damascus Masonic Dagger

zbq

I know there are a few Brothers on this board and I am sure that there are a few aspects of what I am going to say that may seem a bit odd to others who are not in the Fraternity. :3: I desinged this with as many Masonic elements as I could think of. I am using this in degree work since I am Sr. Deacon of my Lodge this year.

This was actually a re-handle project. So I didn't grind the blade but I did everything else from scratch.
I took the old handle and guard off (Stag and damascus) and discovered that the tang was only 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick.
I didn't like that so I made a box out of 3/4" x 1/8" mild steel flat stock to increase the size of the tang and welded the two together. It was pretty tricky trying to get it welded to the ricasso without messing up the blade, but I managed to get it done. Then I used bronze to make a second box/spacer around the tang and between the scales. I did the vine file work on this. I thought it might represent the "tessellated border". The guard is 2 pieces of bronze (the 2 pillars were made of bronze) with a piece of vulcanized black fiber epoxied in between with rope file work. I thought the file work would represent the "cabletow". The scales are from Burl Source, stabilized curly Hawaiian Koa, a member of the acacia family, in the shape of a coffin. The pins are corby bolts arranged in the triangle pattern of the candles at the alter. I in layed the square compasses and G (actually a tie tack with the back ground off) inside of a circle divided into four 90 degree angles. So, in essence, I have a representation of the altar on the handle. (Candles, Square Compasses and "G")The sheath is Stingray. I thought it would match my tux when I am using it during degree work. No belt loop since tux pants don't have belts. I just tuck it inside the waist band and the stud keeps it from sliding all the way through.

Any thoughts or tips appreciated.:1:

Attachments

• _DSC0955 copy.jpg
    _DSC0955 copy.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 75
  • _DSC0960 copy.jpg
    _DSC0960 copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 68
  • _DSC0962 copy.jpg
    _DSC0962 copy.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Impressive and well thought out. I've just sent a link to your post to a good friend who's
about to start his second stint as Lodge Master.

Thanks Dan, I forgot to add that this is only my second try at file work so it's not as nice as some of the stuff I see here.
I made a square out of 3/16" nickle silver for degree work as well that was my first attempt at file work.
I'll see if I can get a pic of it to post later.

Thanks for the compliments!
I was taking pics of a couple of other knives I made in a different thread so I took pics of the square I made as well.
This was my first try at file work.
The rope work isn't as crisp as I wanted it to be.
Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

_DSC1092 copy.jpg_DSC1093 copy.jpg

Great execution my brother. This is definitely a worthy and well qualified blade. Have any suggestions on a text for file work? I am drawn to the decorative file work as well.

Versailles Lodge #320

Thank you for the praise Brother!

As far as books for file work, I don't have any, and I haven't read any. At least not yet.
I learned how to do the above file work from my mentor.
He teaches me by showing me.

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Great execution my brother. This is definitely a worthy and well qualified blade. Have any suggestions on a text for file work? I am drawn to the decorative file work as well.

Versailles Lodge #320

Back