Damascus welding

MikeS

Good morning to everyone.
just a quick gee-whiz question.
In my gas forge what do you folks think if I made a fitted stainless bottom shelf to protect the liner from the borax flux? I’m trying to prolong my liner life.
thanks
Mike

Buy a large kiln floor/shelf tile and cut to the size you need with a masonry cutoff wheel

Stainless won't work/last nearly as well as ceramic (what kiln shelf is made of). Stainless will erode almost as quickly as mild steel if you're working at welding temps.

I have often thought of cutting a piece of steel and applying a thick coating of castable refractory to make a sacrificial floor but I have not tried it yet. The kiln shelf is an easier fix but I have the other stuff in the shop already so I like to try what I have first.

I tried a ceramic shelf floor in one of my forges it melts pretty bad when the flux hits it, I got the shelf from a local pottery supply admittedly I'm not sure of the composition. I ended up putting some castable on top of it until I redo it. My other forge has a split hard fire brick and it works great.

Gilbert, what happens to me is that the tile cracks eventually. But I get three "floors" per large shelf tile, so no biggy. Tracking that refractory supply stuff down locally can be a challenge at time.

I think this is a question for Ed, If the floor is poured with Kast-o-Lite how long does it last with the flux hitting the floor? How thick can cast-o-lite be poured?

Thanks guys!
these tidbits really help. It looks like a ceramic floor shelf and cut to fit.
Ed thanks for your comments on the stainless not holding up that well at welding temp. i did not know this. This saves me time and $$$.
Mike

Just as a side note..... Forges, and especially those that are used for welding, should be considered "consumables".....because there simply isn't anything out there/available that will hold up indefinitely under the uses/circumstances with put them through. Any welding forge is going to need patching/repair with time and use, and eventually need overhauled/rebuilt. After doing it for 30+ years, I think the longest I've ever had a castable welding forge last, before it needed a total rebuild, was about 4 years.....but I had patched that thing to the point of almost having replaced the entire lining. When I was using ceramic fiber liners, that time was reduced to relining every 3-6 months. Of course we all try our best to make our forges last as long as possible.....but it's always a good idea to have money stashed aside to pay for forge repair/replacement.....it's gona happen, and it's just less painful if you have the funds stashed away for it, versus having to be without a forge until you can save up. :) ;)

Back