DanF's KITH WIP

Looking good Dan! I agree with the thought finishing touches require the most attention. All the proceeding work needs to set you up for a good finish. For me, if it’s been a long project, I often take a little break before the finishing. Mainly so I can reset my energy and avoid any tendencies to rush it. I also notice that after working the project non-stop, a reset or rest also gives a new look and you see things not seen before. At least that’s how my endurance (or lack of) seems to work on long projects.

Looking good Dan! I agree with the thought finishing touches require the most attention. All the proceeding work needs to set you up for a good finish. For me, if it’s been a long project, I often take a little break before the finishing. Mainly so I can reset my energy and avoid any tendencies to rush it. I also notice that after working the project non-stop, a reset or rest also gives a new look and you see things not seen before. At least that’s how my endurance (or lack of) seems to work on long projects.
I totally agree with everything you said. Maybe some have an incredible ability to focus intently for long periods of time but I'm definately not THAT guy!

Looking really good Dan. I like the blade shape and materials. That's gonna be a beauty. Somebody will be very proud of that knife!
Thanks for the kind thoughts luciusx5, I have a hard time seeing the positives in my work, is everyone like that?

Thanks for the kind thoughts luciusx5, I have a hard time seeing the positives in my work, is everyone like that?
Yes! Seeing the positives is something I struggle with. Seems like all I see are things I could have done better but I guess it pushes us toward improvement. One the the more experienced makers on here said "You will never make a perfect knife but you will get better hiding it's flaws"

20181111_135258-800x600.jpg
I have the handle where I want it, now I'll work my way forward, finishing the bolster work and working toward the knife tip.
20181111_135509-800x600.jpg
Trying to rotate the knife to highlight the gloss and grain in the DIW, camera's never show me love.

I have an idea about the final pin, looking into that.

THANK YOU!!!! Dan - I'm making this to the end of your WIP because you've got nice photos of knife and sheath and no reason for me to post more of same knife. This should bring thread back to top of page for folks to see.

I got the knife today and it sure does look nice - and it's SHARP!! The wife has already claimed the knife for her kitchen work. She says the handle fits her hand perfect, and the size and design will fit a with her set nicely. This one will fit nicely between the 3" paring and 5" petty chef knives.

You sure got the brass pins on the bolster to hide nicely - not visible at all. The only way I know they are there is post #45. I have read thru your WIP a couple of times but have missed type of steel.

The Ironwood on that handle is really nice. I've been wanting to put some ironwood on a knife but never had any. It's just as pretty as I've seen anywhere. The joints on the 3 piece handle fit so good it looks like a single piece, but different material. That DIW just can't be beat.

The sheath deserves it's own lines - you did GREAT on that sheath. Your stitching is so even and tight it looks machine made (might be?). The leather work you've done is something I aspire to. GOOD JOB!!

Again, THANK YOU for a wonder gift.

Ken H>

Thank you for your very kind words Ken! That was made with some of AKS 's 15n20.
That was the first time with DIW for me, I fell in love with it and plan on using much more.

I think you did a very nice job there Dan!
Thank you Rick!
@KenH, the stitching is by hand, I keep threatening the wife I'm going to grab one of her quilting sewing machines and see if it will sew leather (it should for what one of those things run, I could have me a TW 90 for that kinda money!), but I know better and like sleeping at night.

Back