Decided To Check It Out

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
My Name is David Murphy or "Murph" as all of my friends and co-wokers call me. I've been a knife buff since I received my first pocket knife from my older brother at the age of five.

Sometime around age seven, I stumbled across a small skinning style knife in a junk drawer in my mother's kitchen. After asking my mother about it, I was told that it was a knife my father had made while he was "goofing off at work". Over the years I questioned my father about it several times and he explained to me how he had made the knife. The next thing I knew, I was scrounging for any piece of steel I thought I might be able to make a knife from.

Most of my attempts at filing blades as a kid looked pretty shabby, but over time they got better and I even received compliments on many of them. I soon learned that everything I thought I knew was all wrong and that just any old piece of steel wouldn't work. Over the years I've made a blade here and there but none of any true quality. I've been spending alot of time lately reading on various forums and studying as much as possible and hope to be turning out quality blades soon.

I'm currently serving as a Pre-Deployment Instructor for the U.S. ARMY. I have the second greatest job in the world. I get paid to share my combat related experiences with other soldiers who are heading into harms way and help to prepare them for the many tasks they have ahead of them. Maybe someday in the distant future I'll have the best job in the world as a retired soldier turned full-time knife smith. Until that day comes, I'll continue to read, study, and practice to develop the skills needed to be proud of my work. I hope my loving wife can continue to stand behind me and be patient thru my many trials and errors.

Murph

Murph, glad to have you.

You do have a good job. Thanks for keeping ours out of harms way..
t

Murph,
Welcome to Knife Dogs, Look forward to seeing some of your work.

And a BIG THANKS for your service.

TA

ReconMarine

Thank you for your service and welcome home. God Bless all of our service men and women and you for your important job. Please teach those who are going abroad for the good old U S of A to duck. And duck often. There is no shame in ducking, it isn't hard ( for heaven's sake ducks do it all the time ) and unless your pants are too tight ducking won't hurt you a bit.

When in doubt empty the magazine

Back