DeMo Knife Thread

Nice looking knives and I really do like the sheaths. Maybe one day I will be able to make them.

Tim - You are in a great place to learn. Just remember, although the job keeps you busy just keep making time to practice. Tracy should be a pretty good mentor. I have no doubt that you will keep getting better and better and better . . . It is only a matter of time and you will be producing some really nice stuff. Don't forget to post some pictures.

Thank you for the kind comments.

DeMo

Here are two (2) more knives that I just finished on August 16, 2015. Natural elk and brass handles. 1095 blades. Sheaths are dark brown and antique light brown. Right at 8.5 inches - split between blade and handle.

I gave these to the father/son that presented me with an entire elk rack about 9 months ago. A big shout out to tuskbuster who graciously cut the elk for me.

DeMo

DSC04671.jpg

DSC04672.jpg

DSC04673.jpg

DSC04674.jpg

DSC04677.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

DSC04670.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

DSC04683.jpg

Last edited:
DeMo
I just looked at your your entire post for the first time. I am not a maker, parts for my grinder are in the nail. I enjoyed your knives and see improvement in both your work and your design. I really like the last pair, sweet. Thanks, Ed

Those are cool they look like the old school buck folders. Great work and the pair should be happy with their pair.

Those are cool they look like the old school buck folders. Great work and the pair should be happy with their pair. 

wall e

I thought they looked like Buck knives when I finished them, also.

I gave them away a week or so ago. The best part is the son moved in about 6 houses away from me. We're now neighbors. Both father and son were very appreciative of their new knife.

Both are big deer hunters and I am pretty sure their new knives will get used, often. To me, that is one of the very best parts. The knives going to someone that will truly appreciate them and use them. I hope they think kindly about me when they are field dressing that deer.

DeMo

I got another knife finished up. This one is for the Christmas KITH.

1095 with sambar stag, orange, red and yellow G-10, brass guard, spacers, butt cap, and pin.

4.5 inch blade and 5 inch handle.

Sheath is dark brown and saddle tan.

Take a look and post a comment. All critiques are welcomed.

DeMo

DSC04709.jpg

DSC04708.jpg

DSC04706.jpg

DSC04704.jpg

DSC04701.jpg

DSC04697.jpg

DSC04690.jpg

DSC04691.jpg

It is military appreciation day for DeMo. The first knife is for my cousin. After high school he joined the US Navy. He has served honorably for more than 20 years. He plans to retire next year sometime. I just wanted to thank him a little bit for his service.

Knife is 1084. Handle is American Walnut from my father's (his uncle) sawmill. G10 Colors are blue/gold (official Navy colors I believe). Sheath is dark brown edging and light brown interiors to show off the tooling.

DeMo

DSC04746.jpg

DSC04741.jpg

DSC04740.jpg

DSC04739.jpg

DSC04736.jpg

DSC04733.jpg

Here is another military appreciation knife from DeMo. This goes to an extraordinary friend of mine. I am honored to call him my friend.

At the age of around 40 he rejoined the US Army reserves. He had served in his younger years as a military police officer.

He was married and had two (2) small children. Since it was post 9/11, he got called up and was set to serve overseas.

Here is the kicker. He is an attorney and could have requested to be transferred to become a JAG officer. He chose instead to pick up a rifle and go to the middle east as a foot soldier. I am not a military guy and do not know all the ins/outs but for me, I am honored to call him my friend. I just hope he likes his new knife. I get to give it to him, tonight at the local DU banquet.

Knife is 1080, G10 is black and gold (Army colors, I believe). Brass fittings and pins. Sheath is black and antique black. I used a new stamp on this sheath. Concho is from Tandy. The handle is macassar ebony that I got from John Doyle.

DeMo

DSC04731.jpg

DSC04729.jpg

DSC04727.jpg

DSC04722.jpg

DSC04721.jpg

DSC04719.jpg

DSC04714.jpg

Just finished this one up. It is kind of a first for me. I normally make hunter style knives and this one leans toward fighter. It is going to a very good friend of mine from my college years. She actually is married to an old roommate. Great gal! I hope she loves it.

It is almost 13 inches long. 8 inch blade and 5 inch handle. 1/8 inch 1095, buffalo horn, pink G10 liners, 416 SS bolsters and pins. Black and antique black sheath. Silver snap and concho.

I'll see if I can describe her thoughts to me. . . "something long and lean, kind of mean, sweet and sassy, a little bit sinister but still sexy. Black handle and pink liner. The rest is up to you." I did the best I could.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

DeMo

DSC04750.jpg

DSC04749.jpg

DSC04748.jpg

DSC04752.jpg

DSC04753.jpg

DSC04754.jpg

DSC04755.jpg

DSC04756.jpg

DSC04765.jpg

I just found this thread. :25: Nice work! I really like how clean your knives are and the thoughtful designs and colors. Awesome wood GAW too.

Just caught up on this thread again....it's been a while. It's really fun to watch your progress. You're getting good my Friend. Gonna have to stop posting in the 'New to knifemaking' forum soon. :)

Just caught up on this thread again....it's been a while. It's really fun to watch your progress. You're getting good my Friend. Gonna have to stop posting in the 'New to knifemaking' forum soon. :)

You are a kind man, Mr. Doyle. I am still chasing that elusive "perfect knife". I have a long, long, long ways to go. If you look at my first ones and where I am now, it has gotten a lot better. Knowledge and practice are the keys. This place has been a huge help to my evolution.

You are correct though, I will perhaps stop posting in this thread in a short time. I have a couple of knives left to finish and I will probably make a major change. Time will tell. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

I have just been so busy with everything else in life that my knife making seems to be riding along in the back seat eating popcorn. This winter will be interesting.

DeMo

Back