Dendritic Cobalt steel

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
Hi gang! Just wondering if anyone has used Cobalt for a knife Build. David Boye seems to use it exclusively and builds a fine knife.Extremely sharp! One thing I was reading that this Material is Very corrosion resistant. I also read it has a low RC Hardness, a bit Below 50. I read that most maker would prefer H1 steel. Great corrosion resistance and a much harder( around 10 pts) RC. Talonite and Stellite are in the Cobalt family.

Last edited:
I did get some cast bars from David many yers ago. In true I didn't find it made into better knives for hunting use than 440-C or ATS-34 . In fact it was diasapointing. Frank.

Hmmm, Disappointing? I wonder how it compares to Talonite or Stellite?

I know Rob Simonich used Talonite a lot.

Well compared to ATS-34 it was not as good in the edge holding. As well this steel will bend to easy and I'm not into using knives for crow bars. Funny you ask about the stelite. I'm just building a small one out of this material but have no idea how it will cut. Frank

From my research, the materials are all very similar....hard carbides contained in a softer matrix. None of them require any heat treating....just grind to shape and finish.

I've never been able to get anyone to openly admit it, but when talonite became the "steel of the month" a few years ago, I had someone send me a piece to experiment with. I'd worked Stellite in the past, and found the same things that Frank mentioned. As I played with the talonite, I got to thinking of Stellite, and it got me curious. The two were so similar that it couldn't have been a fluke. I made some phone calls, then did some digging around on the web, and found that a partial patent for Stellite had been sold, and that it was now being produced in small quantities and labeled as "Talonite"! Every since, when the subject of Talonite comes up, I've been trying to get someone to admit that they are the same thing....but nobody will. I always hear "Talonite is nothing like Stellite!" My opinion differs.....if you put the two materials side by side, and work them side by side, you will not be able to tell them apart.

OK, sorry, got off course there. I personally think that these types of materials are nothing more than "fads". Maybe for a very specialized use they have a place as a blade, but in general the cost to benefit ratio is way lopsided. I'm not trying to belittle anyone who owns one, or dog anyone who works with these materials....but in my experience with them, it's all about the "Wow! Look what I got!" factor.

Every since, when the subject of Talonite comes up, I've been trying to get someone to admit that they are the same thing....but nobody will. I always hear "Talonite is nothing like Stellite!"
Talonite is Stellite 6BH, it's a hot rolled alloy of Stellite. Generally Stellite 6K is what is used in knives when someone says "It has a Stellite blade"

Thanks Zach!

I'd always believed that to be the case, but I was often dogged really hard when I brought that particular question up among groups of knifemakers.....especially those who were "riding the wave" of "Talonite".

Back