desktop knife

Squawsach

There is a guy that has a habbit of putting a bug in my ear about trying new styles of blades. His ideas are always really good and they get me to try new things. Usually people suggest crazy blade styles that don't interest me, like Klingon battle daggers or big tacticool type blades. The lastest suggested blade was a Wharncliffe. I have never made one before. I liked the idea of having a Wharncliffe blade on a desk, within easy reach, but not just laying on the desk for everyone to see. Some people are freaked out by knives. It would be handy for opening letters or any number of things but you don't want to dig around in a drawer when you need it. I bought a big chunk brown ebony, cut it into the shape of a desktop nameplate, used the scrap for handle scales. and inletted the back of the nameplate to hold the knife. I put a little magnet under the felt to hold the knife in case the desk gets bumped or there's an earthquake. Nameplate up front, knife in back. Nobody facing the desk can see it but it's always in reach.

nameplate003_zps92775364.jpg

nameplate004_zpsddf1e98d.jpg

nameplate005_zpsc9eb6c0c.jpg

nameplate009_zps94bbb79d.jpg

nameplate013_zps161351a5.jpg

Another great example of your workmanship, both with metal and wood. I also love your photographs. It's one area I think most people take for granted when looking at your work.

Did you use a router to make the inletting?

gorgeous and a very unique idea. I think your shadow box would make an excellent presentation facing to the front as well.

Another great example of your workmanship, both with metal and wood. I also love your photographs. It's one area I think most people take for granted when looking at your work.

Did you use a router to make the inletting?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Yep, made a template and used a router to inlet it. That ebony is hard stuff. I had to run the router on it's slowest speed to keep it from burning.

My kind of knife!
I also am into the practical with a touch of class and will leave the Klingon & Zombie battle weapons to Gil Hibben and others more suited & qualified to that task.

Excellent looking desk knife and great idea for storage and access.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back