Destruction Testing

Cubane

Hi chaps,

I have only recently joined but seems like a nice place you have here, especially friendly to makers.

In my endless quest to improve the quality of my knives and the processes used in making them I came across a new way of pinning together a shadow pattern slipjoint. After discussing the method with Todd Davison (credit where it is due) I decided to put it to the test. I had a blade that didn't turn out quite right and have been using it to test a couple of different nail nicks which would be good for testing out this new pin method.

I did a full write up on my web site at http://knives.mutantdiscovery.com/destruction.html.

Now onto the testing.. after a bit of

snapanim.gif

we ending up with this

snap12.jpg

but the pin still held firm through out it all

snap15.jpg

I'll definitely be using this method in my shadow pattern slip joints from now on. A big thanks goes out to Todd Davison as well for spending the time to explain it to me.

Alistair

cool.. do your thing man,, i'm into beatin on some knives

Hi Alistair,
I'm always interesed to see where a weak point is on everything. Slipjoints get more abuse than most anything because they are handy. Everybody has one and they get carried for years. If a dirty job comes along they get abused especially if they dont cost $300. The old ones have worn away, shortened and busted blades, rusted up and have broken springs or the scales are gone or at least cracked at nearly every pin. Most pivot pins are pulled down and show. They have a rough life unless you have a $300 one. Its hard to bend the heck out of a finished perfect slip joint but I'd like to see the weak places. I'm a sick man yes?
This test is OK but lets see a finished knife bend like that. I've done it many times on fixed blades to pass the ABS but never see it done with folders. The maker that does it first will get some orders I bet.

This test is OK but lets see a finished knife bend like that. I've done it many times on fixed blades to pass the ABS but never see it done with folders. The maker that does it first will get some orders I bet.

If it were me, I'd have to get orders to pay the insane asylum for doing that to a finished knife. They drive me half crazy making them, breaking a finished knife would send me over the edge :D

Thanks for posting this, I was suprised by the results.

If it were me, I'd have to get orders to pay the insane asylum for doing that to a finished knife. They drive me half crazy making them, breaking a finished knife would send me over the edge :D

Thanks for posting this, I was suprised by the results.

Good job Cubane. - 2thumbs

Ryan, I have bounced a couple finished knives off the drive way,Yep all filed up and done just cause they did not work perfect...... :eek::D

And yes Bruce keeps telling me to bend a finished liner-less one over like this??
He such a hard head?? Are all of us knife makers this way??? :D

Come on someone do a finished one. - :D2thumbs

Later

Todd

I told you I was a sick man. I am hoping you guys will bend one so I dont have to. I cant afford it either but you got to admit that we could all learn from it.

One more thing ---------

Cubane did this with some G10 which I have used also.

But Micarta is going to be the strongest material to use? Right? ;)

Todd

Well I don't make knives for a living so it doesn't cost me much apart from time to test one like this. At the same time I all my spare time is precious so I don't get a heap of chances to make knives to begin with. I am sure I will stuff up some more blades, springs and liners in the future and once I do I'll put them all together. That said the only difference in that blade and one on a finished knife was 240 grit vs 600 grit finish.

I tell you what it gives you a huge boost in confidence in the knives you are selling. I have carried my first slipjoint around for about 18 months now and it is still going strong but I don't use my knives very hard just for opening packages etc. I am much happier to sell them to someone who will be using them hard (for cutting not prying etc. This is still a knife we are talking about)

Alistair

Back