Difference in Even Heat ovens, KF vs. KO vs. KH

Concerning 120v vs 220v on the 18" what is the difference in wait time to heat to say 1700 degrees?

I have not timed them or ran them at the same time. I have used both the 240 and 120 version and the 120v takes 15 (or so minutes longer)

I have not timed them or ran them at the same time. I have used both the 240 and 120 version and the 120v takes 15 (or so minutes longer)

Thanks. Not to derail the thread but I do not have 220v available to me and am considering the 120v 18" oven (or perhaps even 14") as an entry level purchase. As future needs and growth permit I can make an allowance for a bigger, better, badder, etc oven. Currently I make on knife at a time, devoting all of my time and attention to that project until it is completed.

Boss, is it better to call and place my order for an oven in person or just go through the website? I think I'm just going to go with the Evenheat KO 18 with Rampmaster.

maybe calling is better to get an accurate shipping quote right off and an idea of lead time. These are all made to order.

Whooo! Hoooo! Oven arrived today! No more pottery kiln for me! Thanks to Customer Service Beth for getting my order back on track during the holidays.

First thing to note, even though I told them "residential" delivery, they still sent it in an 18 wheeler. Driver wouldn't come to my shop because he didn't think there was enough room to turn around. I had to leave work and meet him with my pickup, we moved it out of the semi trailer and into my truck. Not a huge deal, but if you order one keep that in mind.
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

It was very well packaged. I lifted it out of box by myself, but it's pretty heavy. You might want to have help. A big bonus for me is the plug on the cord. I already had an outlet right where I was going to put oven that matched. I've got a humongous 240v mobile shop fan that has the same plug, so I was already set up for it. Awesome!
photo 3.jpg

And, hey, look at the display. It was up to 30 degrees in my shop today! Twenty degrees higher than the other night. I actually worked on a couple knives today, but quench bucket is still frozen.
photo 4.jpg

Great ... Nice oven ,, Just for other guys to note. The Evenheat 120 volt 14 inch entry level kiln is no slouch . I have had mine for well over a year and use it often . I wouldn't mind having the better controller but as far a heat up times I never feel like I am waiting forever. I probably should have 220 wired into my shop but not now. I make roughly 6 knives a month and after using a bunch of second hand kilns getting a real one was a morale booster. Just wanted some folks to know that if all you have is 120 you can more than get away with the 120 model and be happy with it . I have done S30V and D2 in the higher temps and it gets there pretty quick.

Mark, I think the 120v version is probably just fine too. Up to now, I've been using a top loading, 120v, manually controlled pottery kiln. It does have two heating sections, both on their own 120v cords. The problem I had was that I couldn't plug both cords in on the same breaker, too many amps. There was only one spot in my shop that I could actually get them both plugged in on different circuits without extension cords.

I don't have tons of free time, with work, kids, a little rental property, etc. It would take that kiln about 2+ hours to get up to 1500 deg on one 120v section. And for stainless, getting up to 1900 deg, I just about had to use both elements. And keep in mind, this was manually controlled, I had a knob and measured temp with a thermocouple and a multi-meter. So I had to be sitting right on it to keep it tweaked. Major pain in the ___!

Since I already had 240v plugs in 3 places in my shop plus my lack of patience waiting on an oven to heat up, I went with the 240v model. Probably not a huge difference either way. Somewhere I think Boss said the difference was only 15 or 20 minutes or so.

Last edited:
You know, I try not to gripe about the little things, but there is one thing about Evenheat that chaps my hide. NO MANUAL! Just a DVD. I figure if you're paying over a $1000 for an oven they could spare the 25 cents to print a paper copy! I don't have internet in my shop, most laptops don't have DVD drives on them anymore, and if you're over 40 you hate trying to read on a darn phone! All right, there's my rant for the day.

Back