Do makers use their own knives?

Oh heck yeah. Here is my skinning, shop, vegetable, steak knife:

steak_knife.jpg

I use it all time.

Nathan! Guess how I got a full set of perfect kitchen knives, no screwups? A lady I knew ordered them years ago, never paid, and Eddie let them sit. We built our cabin and I said, "You know what would go great with the black countertops? The knife set with black handles." The rest they say, is history! I have steak knives, paring knives, butcher, the big knife and fork set.....I love them!

off topic: Sunday will be our 23rd anniversary and Eddie's birthday. Y'all surprise him and wish him well! We've had a rough August and I'm hoping September will be awesome.

Love to all,
Lora

I carry my first Integral every place. It is always on my side. Even when I watch TV or on the couch napping. I forget it is there. I used it to cut my steak tonight in a restaurant. I reach for it to cut everything. It is my favorite knife in the kitchen. My wife has a D2 Kitchen knife she uses every day. I have one I use in the shop to scrap and nasty shop work. So yes I use my own knives.

HPIM1056-1.jpg

I would feel naked without one of my knifes. I do work on a lot of construction jobsites and I show it to almost everyone and brag about how good it works, I have sold a few of them right out of my pocket. Now I bring a few more around with me just incase.

I haven't carried one of mine in 4 yrs. That's how long it's been since I have made a knife.Everyone that I tried to carry ended up sold.

I would always carry my new styles to see how they would hold up with use.

I like making my own tools so I do have a lot of cutting tools in the shop that I use all the time. They are tried and tested, I am very hard on my knives.

Larry

You know it! I'm going to carry a knife and I like the knives that I make. Plus I always have one that I can show people when I am running around and they ask about what I do. Not to mention I learn a lot about the different designs, finishes, and materials. These days I generally carry the first pocket cutlass that I made.

I carry a micarta shadow remington pattern slip joint that Rick Menefee helped me put together. The blade and back spring are out of CPM154 that I heat treated. That steel is something else stays sharp

I carry a micarta shadow remington pattern slip joint that Rick Menefee helped me put together. The blade and back spring are out of CPM154 that I heat treated. That steel is something else stays sharp
Rick is a hell of a nice guy, talked to him a couple of times and he helped me when i started making folders a bit. Your a lucky fella.

I got started in this to make knives for my own use and to try different type of blades. I still make knives to test/use and see how my technique is working and the best way I know how is to use and abuse some of my knives of coarse I don't sell those knives but I think it makes the ones I do sell a better knife. so yes I use one almost every day.......steve

Have had one of mine as an every day user for about a year now. It's got scuffs , nicks , dings , and looks loved. It is one of my fav fixed blades.

This was posted on another part of the forum but I thought it was worth a repost.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he asked to see my knife. He was surprised when I pulled out an old OVB with a broken blade. My excuse was that I sold everything that I made....after that moment of embarrassment I decided to put everything on hold and make something for myself.

This is what I came up with.

It's a D-2 Lanny's Clip (a Tony Bose pattern) scaled down to just over 3 3/8" closed. I found some very nice pre-banned Ivory to wrap it in. I topped it off with a bullocks shield which complements the Ivory nicely.

It disappears in my pocket and now I can't wait to be asked that question again!

attachment.php

Last edited:
When I go to the woods, hunting, fishing, whatever kind of outing you can bet I'll be carrying one of my fixed blades. We use my knives in the kitchen, and use them for all game processing and butchering.

I pack one of my own sheath knives every single day. I almost feel naked with out it. LOL! It is a damascus knife with a giraffe bone bolster and wooly mammoth tusk handle. I have packed and used it hard for about 2 years now and it has held up very well. I think it is a very good idea to keep and use some of your knives for testing and gaining knowledge of your knives. I also have a damascus kitchen knife I made that we use almost daily. If you don't test and use your knives then how are you ever going to know what you have truely made!

I have a knife or 10 but havent used one to great lenghts . Ive been laid up for some time and cant hunt and stuff but my friends all say I make a heck of a good knife that holds a edge.

brent thats sweet . I was given a liner lock for xmas and I love it that KITH is awsome speaking of kith I better smarten up and start one , I have surgery in 4 to 6 weeks then im toast for 2 months recovery. Im going to the shop , later kellyw

I don't carry any of my knives. Because I don't carry many fixed blades right now. I carry a Strider PT. As soon as I make a folder or two then I will carry one. But I do use some of the knives that arn't fit for sale in the shop. And I use the heck out of them. Mainly to be shure heat treat is up to standered and everything else. I would like to make a Small Arm for me to carry, I just havn't got around to it yet.

As some have said, "that's why I started making...." I usually carry a small EDC of mine, often its the first one I ever made. Unless in a area where carrying a fixed blade knife is unacceptable. Then a Bob Lum design Benchmade is my preferred carry piece.
Just about every knife I make, I make for "Me" so to speak. If I wouldn't carry it, I wont make it. How would I know how to make something I cant "feel?" I wouldn't. I love using my own knives. :)

Back