Do you accept Credit Cards as payment??

hi,

i know that the cc companies don't want/allow additional charges for processing - but for a pretty small vendor like a knifemaker, those fee's add up quick and i'm a firm believer as long as the company doesn't know ... (yeah i know, could always come right back at you when you have an unsatisfied customer that is looking to give you trouble) in the end, it can be "wrong" either way.

for a big company those fee's are nothing, and yet some decline certain card's because they find their fee's to high. as a fairly small vendor, people should understand that this fee's have to be paid, too. you can always split them with returning customer's.

in my opinion, having the possibility of accepting mastercard and visa is the way to go. maybe add amex if you can get a good deal. everyone who has other cards, will have one of the earlier mentioned, too because they know the hasle of paying with them *lol*

this is a very interesting topic, especially regarding the wire transfer. would you tell me what exactly happened to those knifemakers?

based on my knowledge, and experience in europe/germany, the worst thing they could do is try and use the provided information, for a "direct debit" when they order something with another company. then it would show up on my account, and i could simply refuse it. (on my banking portal, thats a click and then typing a transaction number) money is imediatly back in my account. of course, it's documented in case a lawsuit would follow. furthermore everyone acting as a business, either it's a company or single person, in germany has to offer his bank-account details, as his full adress on the "imprint" page of his website, and once more within the "terms of service"

i know a few cases, were this information was used to make direct-debit's - but i don't know a single company/person that didn't get their money back.

you would have to set-up a lot, and spend a lot upfront to make any profit with this kind of scam. companie's that offer direct-debit get rare, then you need a fake adress but be able to pick-up the ordered good's there, and this has to be done within a day, 3 at a max. then again, i don't know a single company that would let me use a foreign account for a direct-debit, and ship good's to a totaly different one.

another possibility, but that need's an insider at least, if a wire-transfer is not yet at his destination in can be pulled back. as a customer in good standing, you could do that once at your bank, with an insider who is willing to to it, for a small ammount maybe some times more but it's not that those clerk's don't get supervised. if there would be a large ammount of wire transfers that get pulled back, there is someone going to look into it. and, you would need to be sure that the good's have been shipped imidiatly when you said your wired of send the receipt.

the only option i see to get scammed is, when you send out stuff before the funds clear and are deposited in your account. and basicly that can happen with almost every kind of payment, starting from phony check's, money orders to a pull back on my cc.

in the end, it's a risk you take when dealing with someting else then cash, and even then, you check every dollar-bill you get on a show or even at your bank? ;)

greetings,
olli

The legal way to offset the CC, GunPal, or PayPal fee is to increase your overall prices by the 3-5% and then offer a cash discount of 3-5%.

I've been taking CC's now for over 12 years and for me it has become my preferred method of payment in most cases. There are few downsides once you built the extra cost into your pricing and for me it saves a 40 mile round trip to twon to make deposits.

As for the PC compliance - I use Payment Alliance Int'l for my processor (very gun friendly without extra fees and since my business is gun as well as knife oriented it makes a difference for me) and the costs are some of the lowest around. PCI compliance is a flat $5.95 per month, no additional yearly charges.

Chuck, I did a search for Payment Alliance Int'l and didn't come up with anything. Could you give us a little more info?

Carey

However, technically vendors are not allowed to charge extra for processing credit cards or PayPal and the terms of their contracts. If the CC company finds out that they are doing it they can shut down the account. So sellers either have to eat 3% or else add to the price for everybody.

Here we have several vendors that set the "normal" price at the higher Credit card rate and have a 3 or 4% "cash discounted price"

...same effect and makes customers feel better about getting the discount for cash.

(edited to add Chuck B. beat me to it)

Chuck, I did a search for Payment Alliance Int'l and didn't come up with anything. Could you give us a little more info?

Carey

Howdy Carey - Give Nathan a call, he's who set me up. Mention that I sent you and if you're a SASS member metnion that as well.
Nathan G. Danus
Director-Target Marketing Group
Payment Alliance International
866-371-2273 opt 1 ext 1131#
866-714-6574 Fax
nathand@gopai.com
www.pai-tmg.com

Back