Does Knifedogs seem a lot less active to you?

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I could be wrong but it seems like things have been slower than normal around here. Is it because it's Christmas and people are busier?

I haven't seen some of the more regular posters posting as much lately. Maybe it's that time of year that seems to happen to everyone to some degree and they find themselves needing a break lately.

I've been posting here more lately and less elsewhere. I like this forum and the slowdown had me wondering what's up. I don't want to see this place diminish the way some other forums have.

Get posting more Dogs! :biggrin:

John

First off, Merry Christmas John. I hope you and your family find the Christmas spirit and enjoy the holidays to the fullest.

Secondly, I have noticed what feels like a little slow down on the forum. I cannot speak for anyone else but for me it is seasonal thing, mostly.

1. It is Christmas/thanksgiving holidays. Family comes first. Definitely a time to slow down a little bit.

2. I make knives in the garage part-time and it is too cold to really work on anything for a few months here in Nebraska. I have a few small projects but not like summer time. Definitely a time to slow down a little bit.

3. I was a little bit burned out working a full time job and making knives in all of my spare time. It had become overwhelming to me. Definitely a time to slow down a little bit.

Just so you know, I still lurk around here on Knife dogs. I am so looking forward to the Christmas season and spending time with my kids. When the weather warms up I will be back in the garage making a few new knives. I have enjoyed my mini-vacation from knife making and have a little better perspective when I return to it this spring.

Take care and stay warm!

DeMo

I also noticed a slow down here.I love the forum here.I figured with so many f/b groups popping up that that had something to do with it.On reason to continue to put time in here verses the f/b groups are the quality members as well as the level of work.There is so much junk being touted as knives on f/b that it's hard to look at lol.

I think the holidays have everyone tied up. Personally I'm flat out at everything but knifemaking. I hope it slows over the winter a bit so I can get back into the swing of things.

I said the same thing to myself last month, its getting slow here. I have been spending time looking at old old posts and hitting the other forums. I imagine its just a busy time for people.

I believe you have all said pretty much what causes that to happen. For some of the full time makers they are pushing hard to make someone else's Christmas very special by getting the knives delivered in time as promised. Frank

Things have waxed and waned here at KDs over the three plus years i've been around, It does seem we are in a bit of a slow down compared to the past couple of years around this time.

I personally make less knives than I use to for a few physical reasons and lately have been spending what time I can knife making.

I am hopefully having a bulged disc in my neck operated on for the better soon.

I also have some exciting news, You guys have talked and I have listened.

I will have Rhino Finger Skins Version III launching in a few days, even more of a contoured fit and larger sizes for you sausage fingered boys and girls. They will be mare for size and will be in an a exciting new color! Black!

Some of the other regulars have kinda slid off but I'm sure they will be back and we have a few noobs around that we can help with our knowledge to become old farts to knife making!:3:

John,

Between spending 6 months building, setting a new shop, and now for the last 2 months recovering from surgery. (2 more months to go) I haven't made many knives except for a couple ABS Performance types I was working on getting ready for my test. I mainly have responded to threads for nearly a year. Hopefully it will be a better new year.

Hoping Doc will let me travel to WV for the New Year's holiday with the family.

I am going full time as soon as I'm back to the shop. This is still the Best Family public knife forum on the web.

Merry Christmas to all the Dogs!

Thanks for the responses guys. All good reasons for the slowdown. I figured most of that to be the case.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and spending time with family is the most important thing. My wife and I have been enjoying the last few evenings watching Christmas cartoons with our two little boys. :)

I'd go along with seasonal... once we get past the holidays and deal with the long winter, it'll pick up.

Merry Christmas Knife Dogs! I would like to give you another perspective. I am still new and soaking up all the information you old dogs are giving. It may seem slower than normal, but for guys like me and Anthony (self made), it is still like drinking from a fire hydrant. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the knowledge you have imparted to me. Without this resource, I would be struggling much more than I am now...
Tracy, I want to say thank you for creating a great family friendly environment for us. I pretty much won't go on some of the other sites because of inappropriate language and pictures that seem to be so prevalent.
Thanks to all my new friends and mentors (whether you know it or not)...
- Jason

December is always a bit slow on the knife maker forums. The collector/enthusiast forums are busy and tend to slow down after everyone shows off their gifted knife pics. Makers are fairly busy getting last minute gifts finished and out the door. We have a pretty healthy active membership (active= logged in sometime in the last 12 months) of 13,000. We normally have three times that many people as guests that simply browse quickly and move on. Competition for social media time is pretty stiff.

Great forum .. I like it here. I had such a busy year and I kind of burned out. But I would love to be more active here.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

For me personally, I'm getting older trying to carry the load I've always carried and finding it harder, therefor I have less time to post on the forums.

Lawrence, best of luck of the disc surgery I hope it gives you more mobility.

Enjoy the holidays my friends, Fred

I am still climbing a steep learning curve...but I've having a ball and , at my age, that's all that really counts.:biggrin:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to one and all---may you live long and prosper.

I am still climbing a steep learning curve...but I've having a ball and , at my age, that's all that really counts.:biggrin:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to one and all---may you live long and prosper.

So that's why I come in from the shop all bent out of shape:confused2:

Football,basketball, hunting season,making knives for hunting season and Christmas orders keep you off a lot of sites.

You could be right Raymond, but I still believe it is cyclical.
In the dead of winter when the Bears are in last place and the Cubs are looking forward to being in last place, then I'll be cruising the forum more.

Back