Does Sharpie Marker burn off while grinding?

Eric Poris

Gold Membership
So I'm done with my first knife design and I want to transfer the design onto a metal billet. I cut an outline of the design using some graphing paper and then used some clear packaging tape to sort of laminate it. The idea was to tape the design onto the billet and then use a sharpie marker make an outline of the design but I'm not sure if the marker will stay on the metal when I am grinding it. It should be fine when I dip it into water but I'm afraid that it will burn off while grinding. Anyone ever used a technique similar to this?

Thanks

Super glue,
I do some of my best designing with a sharpie marker! lol Drawing the basic profile on a billet.. etc...
So I say yes, it works just fine. Have fun..
Randy, HHH knives

Thanks Randy. Last thing I wanted was to finally get started grinding only to have to stop because my design started burning off :52:

Just make sure your steel is clean prior to drawing on it with the sharpie. Any oil that my be left on the steel will cause the sharpie marks to wipe off. I usually spray some alcohol on the steel and wipe down with a paper towel before I draw on it.

I can't make a knife without a sharpie pin. I do like the other guys and clean the oil off the steel first.

Where's my sharpie dude???? If you don't heat it up too much you won't have any trouble loosing you way around your profile.

Don't get overconfident with these replies. It will work if you go slow. If you hog it out that Sharpie will burn off quickly.

Go fairly slow and keep the steel cool and you will be in good shape.

Bob

im with bob if it heats up the steel turns blue and washes away so go slow i always use a scribe freehand along the sharpie just incase

I spray over the sharpie lines with a thin coat of clear wood finishing lacquer. I do the same when I mark my bar stock for storage, it keeps the marks from fading or rusting off. If you get the steel hot enough to turn colors while grinding your lines won't last long no matter what.

I know it is not very safe but I grind using no cloves and that ensure that your steel never heats up enough to make the sharpie line to burn off.

I grind without gloves also but I can get the steel red hot when hogging. I NEVER take my own advise and going slow is not my style, that is how I know Sharpie ink will burn off.

Thanks for all the advise guys I figured it might burn off if I got it too hot. I really like the idea where you scribe the marker line. I am just going to do both from now on just to be sure I don't lose my design.
Thanks again guys!
-Eric

That is how I get my best grinds. If you burn your fingers you are pressing too hard! Transfer your pattern to a piece of plexy then you have a template that you can scribe along. Home Depot has some 1/8th" that will work just fine.

And that sharpie must be dry as dry can be before you start another I learned.........I hand file for fun and have been taught by the best! I just wish I was as good.....I can never figure out why he told me go learn engraving???? Joking aside I love the sharpie but before those days Dychem blue was used, a marking solution used by gunsmiths. You then use a sharp metal scribe and make your marks? Both work great for me, just a second thought if the sharpie goes dry :) ..good luck!

I use a sharpie throughout the process, it works well to highlight scratches that remain after a previous grit.

I second the plexi template, beats trying to keep a paper design in one piece and IMHO gives you a better idea of what the knife is going to feel like in hand.

Back