Don't know what to call it

Justin King

Ed Caffrey's "Wreck Knives" inspired me with an idea which I'm still not sure is worthwhile, but materialized so nicely in my mind's eye that I had to make one and see what it might be useful for. It's basically a seatbelt cutter on steriods, and inch for inch it is one of the most aggressive cutters I have ever played with. The back edge and tip areas are rounded/safe edged and the bevels are one-sided (chisel ground).
Any ideas what it might be useful for, beyond the obvious? I can imagine a few specific purposes it might adapt to fairly well but would welcome input from others.

IMG_1848 (2).jpgIMG_1849 (2).jpgIMG_1850 (2).jpg

I can't think of a name for it, Justin, but it looks like it would make a great fire/rescue/EMT knife and a good knife for anyone to carry in the glove box. I think it would be perfect for taliban hemmorrhoidectomies, too.

Thanks guys! I hadn't imagined it might be useful for medical procedures but I see what you're saying, Denny...maybe it could be blunted up a little for that purpose.

I'd take it diving; looks like it be good for cutting lines/flora without inadvertantly stabbing oneself and calling for sharks.

I like it Justin . It looks great . I have a friend in the Coast Guard that I want to show this to . :boat:
I also like Denny's ideas ..​

Thank you guys. I have been fishing wide for opinions on this one and it seems to have some potential. I'm going to do a couple more and find some guys who can take them into the field and give them a try.

I know I'm waaaaay off from what everyone else is thinking, BUT! What I see is a better way to make a gut hook hunter, it may take a few mods to fit the bill perfectly, the gut hook may have to be extended a little but not too much, keeping it small would be better I think, the blunt tip would prevent accidently puncturing the gut sack as well. I see that there is plenty of blade left, the user wouldn't have to turn it around backwards like with traditional gut hook blades. I think you're on to something here, aside from it being a great rescue blade and it's normal uses. As it sits I'd call it, "THE EXTRACTOR" , if you made a hunting version, it would be "THE ZIPPER". Thats about as good as I can do without mulling it over for a while.

You've given me some inspiration, I've had a buddy begging me to make a gut hook, I just didn't want to because of all the issues with a double grind and re-sharpening them, making one this way could prove very useful. I already have a prototype of a my version of a hunter, it's not much different except the blade is only 3" with a 5" handle, with a deep drop point, looks really weird, but I think it should have excellent control, and reach. Great JOB! Rex

Back