Drill bits

jkf96a

I've had a heck of a time with drill bits today. Needed 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4. I had some HF crappy of the two small sizes, couldn't even get them to go through 1/8 1080 at the slowest speed on my craftsman drill press (usually can get a couple of holes out of each bit). Went to Lowes and got those three sizes in the "Black Gold" bits, and a 1/8 in the DeWalt. The dewalt worked well, drilled about 20 holes so far with no problems. The 3/16 smoked on the first hole, chasing a 1/8 inch drilled pilot. Same with the 1/4. I was able to finally get another 3/16 to work, but still have some 1/4 holes to drill. Any ideas why I should have so much trouble in the bigger sizes? Any readily available bits that would work better? GRRR on drill bits!

I had the same problems with my HF bits on 1084. I got a few things from Tracy, so I thought, hey I'll pick up a few good drill bits. I even got the cheapest ones that he had (black surface treated) from this page. http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/drill-saw-cut-materials-drill-bits-drill-sets-c-98_38.html Drilled a couple holes, it was the easiest job to drill. I was nervous to try this (from HF experience) but I drilled a 1/4" hole (without a 1/8" pilot hole) like I was cutting through warmed butter.

It's only a couple bucks to get these bits, One bit is outlasting what a whole pack of the HF would. It's cheaper and easier to drill with than local cheap bits. Tracy also ships very fast, so if your project can hold off a couple days, it's worth the wait.

Jason,
If you are in a big hurry for bits, look in the yellow pages. Find the tool supply houses in your area that cater to machinist. They will have every type of drill bit that you can imagine.
Look in the Tool-Tool and die maker or just tools.
Where I am Dewitt or DTC same thing, is a great company. Michigan drill makes good drills also.
Then order some of Tracy's bits, as time permits.
Hope this helps.
Fred

One place to look if you need it right now is Fastenal, they carry Norseman (although not as cheap as Tracy) but if its a "got to have it right now" deal look them up.

God Bless
Mike

1/8" is far to big as a pilot hole for 3/16. A pilot hole should be the size of the web of the bit you will use for the larger hole. Frank

Were you drillng hardened steel? The hf bits do suck but I have had good luck with the ones from lowes in my el cheapo wood drilling press.
I don't drill pilot holes either.
If you r drilling hard steel I think Tracy has bits for that also.
For a 1/8 bit I have been using a 10 bit. And an f bit for the .25 I can't remember what size I use for 3/16.

Drill bits are one thing you don't want to skimp on. If you do, it just makes your life difficult. For every size, 1/8" and below, I normally order "packages quantities". I generally purchase cobalt bits, from Enco or MSC. Enco generally has monthly specials on fractional sizes, and MSC carries all the numbered bits in cobalt.
I use a lot of numbered bits..... especially for pins and folders.... 1/16" pin= #52 bit, 3/32=#41 bit, 1/8"=#30 bit.
Getting stocked up on GOOD drill bits can be expensive, but it well worth spending the money. When you get into folders, good drill bits become even more important.

Something else that I simply could not be without is my Drill Doctor X750 sharpener. It has literally saved untold dollars worth of drill bits. I've been using a Drill Doctor for years, and am on my third one right now (I wore the other two out).

Drill bits are all not created equal. Like Ed I buy mine from MSC and cobalt does work well. One thing I always do now is drill a test hole in mild steel. Sometimes the drill bit is not ground equally on both flutes and will drill oversize holes. Be sure to run the drill press on slow speed and use cutting fluid to keep from overheating and hardening the steel as you drill.

Thanks, Chad. I sprung for the $5 dewalt at Lowes in the 1/4, as I had managed to get all the other holes done. Better bit zipped right through. Already have my most common sizes sitting in my shopping cart at Tracy's for when I place my next order.

Back