Dry Ice and quench plates.

Tod Lowe

My oven is finished and im getting things together for the heat treating process.
I have looked into the dry ice cryo and studied up on dry ice in general.
All I could find on the procedure was to pour Acetone over the dry ice and leave the blade in it over night. Sound about right?

Where is the best place to buy aluminum plates and by best I mean cheapest.:D What are some thoughts on plate size also?

If anybody would like to share their liguid nitrogen process as in what they used for a dewer and places to get Liquid Nitrogen I would like to hear.

I had read where one guy was using a regular thermos as a small dewer and putting his blades in it. Good idea or bad?

There is really not to much out there on these topics that I can find so I will appreciate any info offered up.

Last edited:
I saw a pretty good deal for Aluminum plates on Ebay a couple days ago. I don't remeber the dealer but you can search Ebay for them.

dry ice will work but user kerosene instead of acetone, it's safer.
get aluminum on ebay, unless you have a scrap yard that will let you walk around and find it.
liquid nitrogen is available at most welding gas supply stores. it is a by product of extracting other gases.

I had read where one guy was using a regular thermos as a small dewer and putting his blades in it. Good idea or bad
I've also heard about that. The only word of advice that I picked up about it is to use a cork instead of the normal screw on lid. The liquid will expand as gas and explode if it is sealed, but a cork would just pop up.

I got my plates from ebay as well. I actually bought a 1"x12"x12" plate and cut it down the middle to make 1"x6"x12" plates.

Keep an eye on on ebay for a used dewar. They'll come up every now and again, and I picked up a 8 week dewar that will hold a full charge for a couple of months. I just run to Tri-Gas or someplace like that and get it filled.

If you try a thermos or something like that, as was said, do NOT seal it. Even in a strong steel container (no matter how strong), the LN WILL gas off and it WILL explode.

If you try the dry ice, check out dry ice suppliers in the area and see if you can get a couple of slabs. Then you can place the knife between the slabs in a cooler, or if you like, you can get the pieces and make the slurry with kerosene.

--nathan

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I didnt think about the thermos blowing up and didnt know about the kerosene.:cool:
I got my ht foil from boss dog and the ats -34 showed up today so I need to get this going.
I did find the aluminum plates on ebay but havent ordered yet.....checking a couple other resources first.
Thanks again guys.

Tod.

This is how I did my dry ice cryo before I bought a Dewar for liquid nitrogen:

1 Place knives in kitchen freezer.
2 Once cool, place knives in the bottom of a small cooler.
3 Pour in just enough Acetone (or Kerosene, not as volitile) to cover knives.
4 Break dry ice block (purchased at corner grocery store) and pour contents in on top of knives. There is a lot of hissing and popping - protect your eyes and hands.
5 Place small cooler into large chest freezer overnight.

Here's a discussion we had on LN http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=435

Last edited:
Thanks BIll.
I was trying to figure out a set process.THis is s huge help so I'm not quessing.I can't wait to start in on this stainless steel.

Back