Easy way to identify stainless?

Self Made Knives

So, I've got this big ol chunk of 3" stainless round bar. I was thinking about slicing some pieces off of it to make some bolsters, but I have no idea what type steel it is, therefore, don't know what kind of pins to use.

309? 416? Something else? Is there a way to tell?

Looks like the only pin material Tracy sells is the 416. Let's assume it's magnetic (I'll check tonight), so his 416 pins should blend and disappear, right?

Checked my chunk of SS this morning, non-magnetic. Does the 300 series SS make good bolsters? I'd have to find some 300 series pin stock somewhere too.

If it is 300 series, don't be surprised if the pins remain visible (even a slight variance in the pin stock makeup will cause it to show). If you have enough of it, you might want to order some different types of stainless pinstock and test before you put it on a knife.
Personally I don't like 300 series stainless for anything. I find it a real bugger to work and finish.

Well, with not knowing exactly what it is and hearing that you don't like working with it anyway, maybe I should just forget it and order some of the 416 stock and pins. I don't want to waste hours of tinkering around with it just to save a couple bucks. It was just something I had laying around that I hoped I could use. Maybe not such a great idea.

If it is 300 series, don't be surprised if the pins remain visible (even a slight variance in the pin stock makeup will cause it to show). If you have enough of it, you might want to order some different types of stainless pinstock and test before you put it on a knife.
Personally I don't like 300 series stainless for anything. I find it a real bugger to work and finish.

303S stainless is a dream to work. It drills easy and cuts with bandsaw great. Pins do not show and it hand rubs great and is easy to polish.

Back