Epoxy/Gloves/Solvents

Ray

Dealer - Purveyor
When putting on handles, I really hate getting epoxy all over my fingers and then using solvent to get it off, but haven't found any gloves that I can work with without making a total mess of things. Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited:
I use the cheap latex gloves that are typically found about anywhere and buyt them a little small. They make a mess but all that stuff absorbs through your skin and kills your liver slowly.

If you want to get epoxy off your hands try a little WD-40 then wash off the WD-40 A little on a paper towel or a cotton tipped applicator will also clean epoxy off the blades, handles, and other things you didn't mean to get it on. I use Nitrile gloves; I prefer the feel of them. I also find that different brands do seem to stretch and fit better than others. Snip the end panel off the empty box when you find a brand that you like and toss it in a drawer so that you can remember which to get.

Doug

disposable nitrile gloves are nice and tight, don't get in the way of mixing up and applying epoxy, and most importantly they protect you from solvents (acetone, etc...) that you may be using for cleanup. i know a lot of people use latex gloves, but solvents just pass right through latex and then cannot evaporate off, and it just winds up going into you instead. you are better off wearing nothing than using latex gloves because at least when wearing nothing solvents can evaporate away from your skin. anyway, try the inexpensive blue or purple disposable gloves.

Last edited:
I like latex gloves (non-powdered) for handling epoxy. Same for wiping off excess epoxy with acetone.

Make sure your latex gloves a sized properly. I had to eat some pride and move to medium size latex gloves.:3: Now there's no excess at the tip of my fingers, and it is like working without gloves.

Mike L.

I use the latex gloves as well as long as they fit good and snug. This is starting to sound like a condom commercial lol

I use Nitrite gloves.
This is one of the few items I do buy from http://www.harborfreight.com/
Type "Gloves" into the search box on their site. There are also decent cheapo leather working gloves that I buy from them.

I purchase the black or Blue ones. The black ones are the best thing going for protection of your hands from the chemicals in the epoxy. They fit tight enough to pickup small parts while doing handle assemble. They are also one of the few that carries Extra Large size for us Gorilla
handed guys!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back