Ernie Now has a Heat treat oven!!!!!!!!!

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Sorry guys but I just had to post this!!!! :biggrin:

I am excited as all get out:60:

I think i got it, I wired it up like using two cords but I just ran jumpers from the element cord to the PID to give it power.

I plugged it in and timed the operation, I set the temp to 1444
It took :
4 minutes to hit 550*
9 minutes to hit 800*

I opened it up, shut it, it dropped to 745*

then it took:
15.5 minutes to hit 1000*
45 minutes to hit 1444*

I am going to build a better box and mount it to the oven, get all the wiring good and it should be fully operational.

Here is a couple shots of it
2011-03-20_17-19-18_219.jpg

2011-03-20_16-45-41_647.jpg

Hi Ernie,
Just wanted to chime in about your thermocouple, is it on the bottom of your furnace or did you take an upside down pic? Does not look like the ideal place for one, but that would be a good topic for a new thread! Glad to see your furnace glowing though, now the fun begins.
Sincerely,
Clint

Way to go Ernie you got a great deal . I ll have to buy one but im leaning towards a salt pot. WHen I make up my mind Youll know cuzz ill be pumped too. Kellyw

Hi Ernie,
Just wanted to chime in about your thermocouple, is it on the bottom of your furnace or did you take an upside down pic? Does not look like the ideal place for one, but that would be a good topic for a new thread! Glad to see your furnace glowing though, now the fun begins.
Sincerely,
Clint

Thats where it was when I got it, I never knew to move it.
I have another thermocouple that came with it.

thanks guys !!!!

Thats where it was when I got it, I never knew to move it.
I have another thermocouple that came with it.

thanks guys !!!!

Hi Ernie,
I am by far no expert on kilns, so other folks please give there two cents! Here is mine, I would drill a hole in the top of the kiln in the middle, just like the new Even heat ovens are. I had a Paragon once that gave me grief, they had the thermocouple up high near the door. It was 100 degrees off from where my blades were. Also keep away from the elements! You can always patch the hole with cement or hook up a second pyrometer to see the temp difference between the top and bottom of your furnace. I do this anyway to periodically double check my ovens pyrometer for accuracy.
Sincerely,
Clint

Speaking of the cool-looking glow.... get you some IR safety goggles for when you're looking into that thing. I've heard over time it can really mess with your eyes.

Anyway, congrats on the cool new toy!

Thanks guys, I will relocate the Thermocouple and use the new one.

Does anyone have pics of where the wires connect with the element? I am trying to figure out on how to do this.

Thanks Fletch!! Thanks everyone else :)

I Got the thermocouple moved and everything finished up, I had to make box protruding out of the wall of my shop to make room for the Oven.

I will get some more pics tomorrow, I might be heat treating a blade.

Back