example of 2" "rash", 1" wheel and using a Sharpie to help see where you're grinding

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Thought I'd throw this up for the noobs.

The first shows a 2" rash mark. I ground this on a 1" wide wheel a few days ago and was going to work on cleaning up some of the grind lines. I put a 2" wheel on got a 2" rash mark right away grinding the recurve on this blade. A recurve is when the cutting edge kinda swoops up before ending back down at the ricasso.
2inch-mark.jpg

I put the 1" wheel back on the machine to clean up my clean up effort. The 10" hollow groove on the blade didn't seem to be holding the wheel in the groove that well so I took a sharpie and blackened in the grind plus some extra. After a pass, I could see exactly where my wheel was contacting. I always keep a marker handy and color in the blade if I am not *exactly* sure where I am hitting on the blade. Sometimes you need to sneak up on the grind line.

IMG_1356.jpg

So the deal with the 1" vs 2" wheels. 90% of knife makers use a 2" wide wheel. Maybe more. I am not saying they are wrong but I am finding I like a 1" wide wheel more and more, especially if you have any curves to the blade at all.

Three reasons: 1. No more 2" rash 2. You get way more life out of splitting a 2" belt as most of the time you are working on the outer 1/3 edge and wasting the inner part of the belt. 3. I like using the 1" better. It seems faster to me. I don't know why, it just does.

This not a commercial announcement. Just a tip for the noobs.

If you have a quick tip, post it.
t

Interesting, I can honestly say I have never thought of using a 1 inch wheel. Mainly because I did not know there was such a thing.

Very interesting - I see the 2" rash mark you speak of.... Interesting - just might have to look into one of those 1" wheels to play with. Thanks for posting.

Ken H>

I have a 1' Wheel i havent even tried yet. This is encouraging boss. I originally got it for small folder blades? Its just hard for me to give up that flat grind.

Back