face mill

TJ Smith

I have a griz 8649 mini mill. Will a 2 inch face cutter work in it to give me a flat surface on a Damascus billet?
TJ Smith

While G8649 mill is a neat little mill, it just doesn't have the rigidity required to be slinging a 2" face cutter, not and it work worth a darn. You are talking about a single tool bit fly cutter?

Ken

Just want to remove scale and press marks. Tried a fly cutter ,jammed and took out some internal gears. Changed over to the belt drive. How about a .5 end mill?
Thanks for the reply.
TJ Smith

I'd hazard to guess that a 1/2" end mill would work if taking light passes and feeding slow.

A 1" fly cutter MIGHT make it, again, with light passes and slow feed.

I agree with Andrew - 1/2" endmill "might" work taking slow and light passes. Try and see how it works - just feed gently with perhaps .005" DOC and see how that goes. Bummer on stripping the gears, but sounds like you've got a good fix.

Ken H>

Generally the max size face mill that can be used on a given mill, is equal to the HP rating......GENERALLY! In many cases with import machines it's often 3/4 of the rated HP. I own a large grizzly mill, and it's stated max face milling capacity is 2"...... I do run a 3" sometimes, but it has to be very light passes, and it's pushing the machine very hard. (2HP motor on my mill)

Back