finally joined the dark side...er..maybe it's the light side, i dont' know...

N.N

I made this for myself and as soon as I posted a pic of it on facebook this morning I got several, "tell me how much, i want it" 's. For a while now i've been needing to make myself something to carry. I get asked, as I'm sure you do, "do you have one on you that I can see?" So I took a little extra time on this one and I think it paid off.

So I watched a few of Ed's videos and......This is the first knife that i've really spent a lot of time hand sanding. In the past I've done it just to fit a few scratches or something before going back to the grinder for the final finish. But this came out so well, even improving the final finish. Extra work to not have to worry about lines being perfectly straight from the grinder might be worth it from here on out. The handle is a little thick, but for it's small size I think it works better.

A few weeks ago at Paul Lebatards shop, he said something while sharpening his knife that I took home because I always wondered what a good way to test was without damaging the finish and such...."get it razor sharp, cardboard kills edges [as i knew], my test is to slice 20 times through cardboard. If it still shaves after that, it's good enough for me." This one still shaved after 20 times...i'm a happy camper.

1084 carbon steel, 2.25" cutting edge, just over five inches total, carbon fiber scales.
belt knife1.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard not to....I'll make him one just like it though!

With my current ht methods, I'm sticking with 1084. I've had good results with 1095, but I don't want to push it.

Thats is pretty frikin sweet.
How do you not get a cramped up feeling grinding a small knife? I tried and geound my knuckles and had the knife fly err fall to the ground.

Thats is pretty frikin sweet.
How do you not get a cramped up feeling grinding a small knife? I tried and geound my knuckles and had the knife fly err fall to the ground.

I never thought about it really....just hold it the same a larger one and keep your knuckles out of the death zone. It certainly is much quicker to grind something like this. I figure including HT and overnight handle epoxy, it wouldn't be hard to get one of these done in a weekend.

I've kinda thought the same thing, wall e, about grinding a folder or a little slip joint....there's no where to hold. I'll let you know what I come up with whenever I get around to that folder I've been thinking about for a while now.

8369bc0cbe3a98c465df3ecf53ab468f.jpg
missed the danger zone feeling till it was the dead zone.

That came out pretty nice....
I've never regretted spending a bit of extra time finishing a knife but I have always regretted not spending enough time working on detail finishing...

Ok, now your showing off that your getting the hang of this. the black etched,blued or parkerized?

Back