First experience with a grinding disc and belt

Grizzly Bear

Well I'm working on a nice knife for a friend that did some work on my tractor gratis. It is going to be a nice knife with a good Japanese (not Chinese) blade with stabilized burl wood.

My first experience with my new grinder (sander) was a dozy. I took the skin of all 4 of my finger knuckles on my left hand using the disc and managed to touch my right forearm on the belt. Just letting fellow new guys know that these things are dangerous (and I was being real careful).

Thanks to my rhino skins my finger tips didn't get burnt!

Good fortunes to all,

Grizzly Bear

Thats unfortunate hope you heal fast. But on a lighter note thats great advertisment for Laurence and his rhino skins!!

Bear,
Sad to hear about your injuries :sad: and glad to hear your fingers didn't get burnt.:35:

I may need to start making Rhino Forearm Cuffs as well.:3:

I can suggest that you wear a heavy cotton long sleeve shirt when you grind with the cuffs buttoned up in the meantime.!

Arock, you're right, that was pretty cheap advertising for Laurence. He should throw in a few fingers for that. I wish he made full gloves out of that soft fabric.

Grizzly Bear

I may at some time make gloves for other applications? As far as knife making goes, the reason that my Finger Skins only cover your fingers is that gloves are dangerous because they can get grabbed & caught by machinery.

At least you got the skinned knuckle thing out of the way early. It's a rite of passage.

Wait till the grinder grabs the bill of your hat and takes it right off your head. That's when you know you got too close!:biggrin:

Ouch, sorry to hear about that! But don't think that's your last. LOL, I just ground my middle finger nail down to the meat the other day working on a hilt for my WIP. Super glue is your friend. I glued a layer of paper towel where my finger nail was suppose to be.

Super Glue wasn't my friend today. In addition to getting my knuckles in the way of the grinder, I glued my thumb and index finger together filling holes in burl wood scales today. I guess you have to crack some eggs to make eggnog !!!

Learning but not discouraged,

Grizzly Bear

If you want a good laugh.....
I started a section in my shop note book years ago of the daily stupid things that went on in the shop. Just quick notations like grinding your knuckles or burning your hand leaning on the forge. Reading them years later makes you laugh and feel good that most of those things don't happen anymore......not all, but most.

Rudy

I pulled my finger and thumb apart, some skin went here, some skin went there, oh well. I guess I must be doing "something right" if most all knife dogs have gone through this, LOL.

On a good note, I finished the knife I was making and it looks great. My wife told me it was the best I have made yet. It has a mirror finished skinner blade (bought- but not from China), a bronze guard which I soldered in for the first time and stabilized burl wood scales. I polished the scales using Brown Tripoli and a polishing buffer. I then shined the handle with a puffy compound free buffer pad in my drill. Next I need to work on my scabbard which is a kit.

I can't afford to buy a metal cutting band saw right now, but we talked to a contractor today to get an estimate on a carport converted into a shop for my knife making. Looking forward to having a place of my own to work instead of at the computer desk.

Boy it feels good to complete a successful project!

Best wishes to all,

Grizzly Bear

Back