First folder, gunstock slippy

Justin King

I've been carrying it for about a week, so I guess it's finished...A2 blade and spring with 410 liners and 416 bolsters and pins, zebrawood scales, etch-relieved liners and has a half open stop. I'm a little embarassed that the pins are showing in both bolsters, but can probably forgive myself on this one. _20150304_081631.jpg_20150304_081714.jpg_20150304_081610.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Getting those pins to disappear is the hardest part for me. In fact it is so hard that it doesn't happen very often yet! Good looking knife you made.

Justin, this is a great knife, you should be proud!
I had some halo issues on my bolsters too. A few guys here gave me a tip that has fixed my problems! Lightly peen one side, turn it over and lightly peen the other side, then WHACK IT with the flat end of the hammer. This seems to expand the pin in the hole all the way through.
It worked perfect on my last knife!
- J

Nice Justin. I like that pattern and the long pull.
Keep making them,you will learn to make those pins disappear.

Justin,Great looking folder. The only time that I made a slippy I had help and we used a tapered reamer on the pinned holes and they turned out good. Dan

Thank you very much, guys! It turned out well for my first I think, but leaves room for improvement too, which is the way it should be. Among other things, the nail pull extends past the start of the clip, which is a little awkward looking and dosent work very well with a swedge, so I rounded the spine over the clip instead.
I appreciate the advice about peening too.

Nothing to be embarrassed about at all on this one! I think it looks great, even if the pins aren't perfect, it pretty close to perfect. I'd bet the average Joe's not going to notice the pins unless you point it out. You're you own worst critic, we all are.

Back