First Knife WIP-Round Two

Ok here is the way I do it now, I make my plunge cuts with a round file, and then grind my bevels. but its the same as filing the bevels.

The first thing I do is make my matching lines on both sides going vertically thats the line I follow I keep my cut center on that line. then I make a line toward the top going horizontally. that's where I want to stop my plunge cut.

It this picture you can see how I start my plunge. I go at an angle and file until I hit my center lines on the edge side, Then I do the same to the other side. then when I get them where I want them I color them black with a sharpie.
004-19.jpg

In this pic you can see I have to go a little deeper on the one side.
010-8.jpg

In the next three pics you can see my vertical and horizontal line where I want my plunge to follow.
Note, the angle of my plunge cut, I file as much as I need to without hitting the end, thats why I paint it with a sharpie to see how close I am.

001-18.jpg

002-14.jpg

003-25.jpg

It is the same as doing it with a rectangle file, thats how I did my first.
If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!!!
I hope I have explained this well enough!

Last edited:
Well after talking to Ernie and Bill T, it was brought to my attention that the round files I was using were too coarse and were not cutting the metal clean enough for the plunge cuts. I went out and got two Nicholson files, a 1/4" and 7/32". I was going to redo the plunges Sunday and update the pictures, but my file guide broke!!! A hardened metal file guide and it split right in the middle. I figured I'd redo the plunge cuts without without the file and hope for the best. I will have pics posted once I get going.

Thanks,

Jeff

Okay I have issue's!!! Besides my personal one's I mean. I'm afraid my plunge cut's are going awry because I have no file guide anymore. I am also worried about how thin the metal is where the plunge cuts meet. Am I alright the way I'm going or is there something I need to do to avert going beyond a recoverable situation? Advise me please;):D:D Pics below:

001-8.jpg

002-9.jpg

003-9.jpg

Thanks Everyone,

Jeff

Jeff, I've been where you are. Don't panic!

Leave those plunges alone for now and concentrate on getting the rest of the bevels even with them, all the way along the edge.

Make sure the whole blade is resting against or clamped down to a firm surface. It's really hard to get good bevels if the blade is flexing as you file on it. Cut you a piece of 2x4 or something, close to the width of the blade, so you can still get right up on it with your file. Make it just a tad longer than the blade so you don't stand up to go get a coffee and walk into your point! :eek:

Take your time, you're making good progress.

Now once your bevels are even on both sides, check the thickness at the edge. If it's too thin, just dull it by running that Magic-Cut file along the edge until you have the thickness you want. Hey, it's easier to dull an edge than it is to sharpen it! :D This won't remove as much width from the blade as you might think.

Don't beat yourself up if your bevels aren't perfectly flat. A lot of people, including myself, prefer a mildly convexed bevel. The main thing is to go for smooth, even bevels no matter what style they are. If you're like me, I bet you've turned that thing over in your hands about a million times to see if it's even on both sides and all the way along the blade. :eek:

Did I mention take your time? Whether it's practicing guitar or knifemaking, "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast". Or, "The hurrier you go, the behinder you get".

After a total of 4 hours today, starting at 9 this morning, I think I might have put a little dent in the convex areas of the blade. The metal where the plunges meet is getting a little too thin. I also think without a file guide, I may have hosed up the symmetry of the plunge lines. I was hoping to get a few opinions on where I stand. Here are the pics of where I'm at as of 1344 EST. Thank you Everyone for your input and advice and just for viewing!!!

Jeff

005-8.jpg

004-7.jpg

006-7.jpg

Thanks James,

But I needed to worry about the plunges because early on the were not deep or long enough. Now to top it all off, the only crutch I truly had(File Guide), broke!!! So now I'm faced with uneven plunges. I do see your point about getting the bevels done, but being anal retentive, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the bevels without knowing the plunges were set.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bud, I think you're using that tube-style-clamp fixture bassackwards. I'd use that to hold the hardened blade while shaping the handle. Please see my post above about keeping the blade firm while filing on it. If it doesn't make any sense, I'll try to explain it better.

I think your plunges are deep enough to guide the file themselves, if you work gently and slowly. I see what you mean about getting them right and using them as a starting point. Again, your blade might get a little narrower by the time you get everything evened out the way you want, but that's OK. Heck, when I profile blades I leave an extra 1/16" or more just to allow for such things. :eek:

Last edited:
James,

Unfortunately I'm operating at bare bones minimum. I don't have the luxuries to be able to use that vice just for handle work and something else for the blade work. I have nothing to clamp the knife down with, not until I get a workbench, can I even broach that approach. If you notice, I had to mount the knife vise to the window sill temporarily. I count myself lucky that I have just enough to get started.

Thanks though for the response,

Jeff

Hmmmm I see what you mean. Well, regardless, keep at it! Take a day off if you get frustrated, sometimes that's all a person needs. I'll be quiet now :eek:

I didn't think it would happen...But I failed. The tools I have at my disposal aren't enough to bail me out. I need to find another piece of metal I can cut and start over...This blows...

Hang in there, Jeff. Don't give up! Shoot me your address in a PM, and I'll ship over a piece of precision ground O-1. When you get it finished, mail it to me, and I'll heat treat it for you and send it back.

If it were easy to make knives, monkeys would be doing....hmmm....well, IG's an exception :D ;).

--nathan

Hey Nathan,

I failed, but I haven't quit. Now I have to take another shower, but I quick like drew this up and ground it down a little bit. Be honest, is this a good attempt #2?

009-3.jpg

010-2.jpg

I have this huge thick peice of ats34, but I want to make a nice Bowie out of that. I can't even get a plunge right yet, so I don't want to waste that piece. This is a smaller piece of O-1. Bless this mess!!!

Jeff

Jeffrey, I think the basics of the design are good. I would continue to refine the profile a bit as I know you will, eveing out the flow and curves, especially at the belly of the blade where it begins to sweep up to the tip. For me, a design isn't really complete until I've sent it out the door. Usually, I will sketch a rough idea of the profile as you have done and grind to it. Then I hold it up to an open door or other light background so I see the blade as a dark relief. That allows me to focus on the overall profile more than any details. I continue to make adjustments until I am satisfied with the profile.

From there, I do my bevels, and I adjust any profile if needed (very rarely). After the handle is on, I shape the handle, and make any fine tuning adjustments that are necessary to the blade profile (almost never at this point, but every once in a while).

--nathan

Thank you Nathan. I expected maybe to come out with a crappy knife, but not a failure. I did a little more work on the profile, but my hearts not in it right now and once again the plunge cuts aren't coming out right. My file guide busted, so ow I'm doing it by eye and that's not working out to well. I guess age has helped me, because 20 years ago, this would all be 3 floors down on the sidewalk!!! I have an updated pic, I figured I'd keep this new attempt in the same thread since there really wasn't a completion of the first knife.

011-3.jpg

Jeff , If you don't mind I'd like to put 2cents in again .
I think you're making a mistake by jumping right to a new blade . Remember what I said about the knife deciding to be something else ? Try taking time and thinking past what you think this piece of steel can only be . Maybe it wants to be a drop point instead . Find some Knife Digest books , expand your thought process . I know you want to make Bowies , but this piece of steel has other lessons to teach you . Embrace them .​
Thanks , Bill​

I won't throw it away, but at this point I don't feel I should continue on a blade, that at this stage of my expertise (or lack thereof), that can not be saved. There is alway's a chance in the future when I am more proficient, that I can go back and resurrect this blade from the depth's of despair. If I were to continue at this point, I would just make it irrecoverable, if it isn't already there now.

Jeff

Jeff, you have "stick-with-it-ness" which is probably the most important tool we need. 2thumbs DO NOT throw that other blade away; as you said, you may decide to come back and fix it later. If not, it will make you cringe and chuckle at the same time when you sneak a peek at it months from now, after you continue to get better.

Don't get down man, if you learn from your mistakes, they're not really mistakes! I bet we've all made a few knives that came out quite a bit thinner and smaller overall than we intended at first. :eek:

Aw dangit, I said I was gonna be quiet... oops! :D

Back