first public sale experience

SHOKR

hey guys

today i displayed my knives at a a really bazaar and... WOW!!

well, the concept of knife as a tool not a weapon for thugs is new here!! so why bother with an 'expensive' one when i can get a 'cool' chinese one with lots of holes in the design?! also for reasons that for the life of me i cant comprehend, they HAVE to keep touching and squeezing the steel!! seriously, why?! and they pass their hand on the edge to test sharpness.
what pissed me off is people who out of he blew tell me 'i don't have money with me today.' i didnt ask you to buy anything, i'm just answering your questions! also, and thats really sad its funny, some girls saw the paracord, so they approached the table, saw the knives, turned around and walked away lol

lots of people asked me bijillion questions about the knives but actually only two asked about the price!

a friend of a friend (a girl) told me she wanted to hunt lions and gazelles with a knife (literally hunt them with nothing more than a knife), a knife that is BIG but not heavy!! i almost blew a brain fuse!! and guess what she called heavy?! a hunting knife!

a guy also asked me if i have plastic serrated knives. he kept insisting that there are special plastic serrated knives that are used with fresh vegetables so they wouldnt lose their nutritional crap! i asked him about all the materials i know and he kept saying 'i don't know, i know there are plastic ones' before he left he asked me about my opinion on (functional) wooden knives, thats when the entire conversation seemed clearer! lol

i don't know why i'm stating the experience, i guess this place has been a virtual home for me, maybe some of you experienced such things, or maybe just i had to tell someone before steam comes out of my ears!

its gonna take a WHILE to change how people think about knives here...

One of the biggest challenges, that we as knifemakers face is educating the public. Perceptions of knives vary widely from country to country, and even from region to region within the same country. For example, I've been to several larger cities in the eastern United States where my little 2" bladed slipjoint is looked at with fear and is considered a weapon by many (and in some cases even the law). Here in Montana, if you don't have some type of knife on you all the time, you're simply ill prepared for daily life. Heck, here a gun is even viewed as no different then a rake, a shovel, or a hoe......just another tool.

You never know what type of attitude you'll run into.....just be as nice as possible, and remember to treat the person(s) as you'd like to be treated (even if they do come off as a "butthead") :)

Thanks a lot Ed, i like where you live!!

Im not really people person, but i do like a challenge, and i really wish to change how people percieve knives around here

If you have any more tips on the whole process i would really appreciate it

Thanks again Ed

Sounds like you had quite the experience. The "Plastic Knife" guy may have been talking about a lettuce knife. The serrations apparently keep the edges from browning.

Personally, I always like how mouths drop open when I mention the price. I'll show some pictures to people and usually get a "that's a beautiful knife, what's that go for? $50 or $60?" Then I say "Try $150 to $160" and they're speechless. What I don't tell them is that a more "established" maker would sell that same knife for about $350 so they are actually getting a bargain! hahah

Shokr,
Nothing you have said surprises me! I have felt like I set up before in a Egyptian Bazaar, Right here in my own town!!lol.

I used to do a "High End" Craft Fair here in town and I did it again last June. The majority of the people that came by my table where in there late 80's of age! No offense cause we all are going to be there some day if we are lucky?
These folks are winding down things in lifeand I had several that said they hadn't cooked in 10-20 years.
I think the promoter took a large bus by all of the local old folks homes and offered a free outing for them all!

Several of these nice people were lucid. I don't think they even knew where they were?
One had a 15 minute conversation with me about how tall I am and would have kept going except the Group leader finally moved him on! I use to sell most everything on the table and take orders.
This was the worst show I had ever done! I won't be doing it again!

The Market has changed to put it mildly. There are still customers out there but what work just a few years ago is now dead here. So keep trying, Learn observe and adjust for the market you wish to culture.

I live in a hot bed of militant Vegan types that spout a lot of Camel Dug about how the metal from knives has been linked to many diseases and you should really only use Ceramic or plastic knives and plastic or bamboo cutting boards.

I have pointed out that plastic is much more likely to contaminate foods and a quality Stainless Steel knife will take care of any browning or welting of the lettuce. Bamboo boards are loaded with plastic and are very hard on knives of any sort.

I have sold a few of my Santoku Chef knives to this group and they have been back for sharpening.

So the main thing is to remember that some of these people were grabbed by the little green men last night and even anally probed! :what!:

Be polite and watch for buying signs! Can I get it with a different handle? Do you take orders? Can I make payments? I know these questions sound very obvious. Sometimes they are all wrapped up in another question?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Sounds like you had quite the experience. The "Plastic Knife" guy may have been talking about a lettuce knife. The serrations apparently keep the edges from browning.

Personally, I always like how mouths drop open when I mention the price. I'll show some pictures to people and usually get a "that's a beautiful knife, what's that go for? $50 or $60?" Then I say "Try $150 to $160" and they're speechless. What I don't tell them is that a more "established" maker would sell that same knife for about $350 so they are actually getting a bargain! hahah

yeah he did mention lettuce, i'll check these out

yeah i have a feeling i'll go through the same thing with price, the prices are said i think where 350LE (about 60usd) because they have some flaws in appearance. people kept 'cool' but i know that reaction too well (because i do it when i find things overpriced lol)

thanks Andrew

thanks a lot Laurence,

you definitely had it worse than i am, at least i was expecting it to be... 'interesing' (thats the word i use when i feel its going to be bad but don't want to be rude lol)

and i think my main problem is i havent fund my main first market yet, is it knife enthusiasts, is it users, is it people who want to carry one just to be 'cool', is it tactical users (if i get those i've hit the jack pot!) because my main concern is performance THEN furnishing.

also most people there were young(early twenties), probably cant afford one of my knives.

will see how this goes :D

hope things change for the better for you, or at least you can focus on knife shows or any culinary based event

Generally,
And I say that with open arms. You want a upper middle class or higher person that enjoys the finer things in life and has the discretionary funds/income to pay for them.

They may enjoy the following? Hunting, Martial Arts, Culinary Arts, Have/Do service in your military at a officer's rank or just plain enjoy Rambo type movies and have the $$$$..

Keep in mind I don't think money makes them a better person, just a better customer.

I mostly sell from word of mouth about my custom knives and my sharpening & cutlery store.
I was fortunate to be written up in the L.A. Times newspaper about a year ago and having the article go to several big city papers across the country didn't hurt ether.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2011/12/shopping-for-knives.html#more

I also have been written up in the L.A. Weekly Blog, A knife rag or two, Blah Blah Blah...

I have people buy my knives that say they remember 10- 15 years ago talking with me while I was sanding on handles at the local Dog park while our dogs ran around and played!

The point I am making here is that this didn't happen overnight! It has taken years develop my knife making into a profitable full time profession. Others have reached my level or far above it much faster than me. I really am not a natural or very efficient at all when it comes to shaping & working steel or designing a new knife pattern or promoting it etc.

I just put in so many darn hours burning up my fingers, steel and hanging in the local Bazaar so to speak showing my knives that I started to get a clue and get noticed.
the most important thing by far is taking care of my customers wants and needs with a sincere smile!

So some of those younger people at the Bazaar may be customers some day?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

probably right on the money there! need people with certain mentality and pocket size too!

must be awesome being a subject of knife articles!!

thats true, in the mean time i work on my skill and things will work out eventually.
here's to hoping they would return later and buy! or tell their richer and older friends and family :D

thanks Laurence

I think Laurance has hit the nail on the head. You want to try as best you can to target your client group. i like may of you have done the local craft fairs, and while a lot get handled an you get a lot of OOOH's and AHHHH's they run when they see the price. Most folks at that type of event are looking for good deals, not all but a good portion. I have had luck at some higher end craft shows though. I did the War Eagle show for a few years and always did well there, But this is a nationaly known show. Get out, look for people in your "Client Base", One thing that has given me many repeat customers is to donate a knife that will be auctioned for a local charity. While doing a good deed, you will get a lot of exposure!

Good luck and God Bless,
Mike

The most important thing here Shokr is that I don't see it really stopping anytime soon.

I am not complaining and am very grateful for my progress. I don't think I will have to defend myself from the hordes wanting my knives anytime soon?:biggrin: But stranger things have happened, and I would like to add a few more notes here for you.

When I met and learned from the late Mr. Bob Loveless, One of the most important fathers of modern knife making I noticed that he worked six days plus a week and the very first time I saw him and didn't know who he was at a show in Pasadena Ca about 1998.
He was pushing & pulling two large rolling knife containers all by himself to get to his table and he was late and a bit haggard by it all. Before he had set up a Gentleman from Japan said good morning and asked if he was Mr. Bob Loveless?

He said yes and the man said great! I wish to buy your knives! Bob said give me a few minutes and I will be set up and you can have your pick! The man said you don't have to do that, I wish to buy all of your knives. Bob said, You mean you don't want to see them?

The man said, you Sir, are Mr. Bob Loveless and these are your knives correct? YES. I am Bob Loveless!
I will take all of them! Just please give me a inventory. I was standing a bit away glancing at other tables to not be to rude as I saw Bob give him a list and the man wrote him a check for everything he had with him. Bob never did unpack a thing that day and I watched him show the check to a few friends around his table.

Scouts Honor that I saw this happen! The moral of all this is he worked six days a week plus for many years to make it happen! So with that I am off to go open my shop and finish up a few knives for Christmas delivery.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

When I met and learned from the late Mr. Bob Loveless

LUCKY!!!

that is a great story like Shawn mentioned, the kind that makes you hop on your feet to work on knives!!
one more? :D

thanks Laurence, i know it will take time, and God willing it will happen. just as you guys suggested, for now i need to work, work, work some more and find my targets!

Mike, thanks for the idea, i did imagine it someday but thought knife would have actual value for auctioning when i am good/known, but now would be good too!!

I have never went out to try and sell my knives at a show but during our local Boone and crocket /SWF horn scoring night I displayed my knives . I had alot of very experienced hunters look at them some asked what type of steel even though they didnt know whay they asked that question. Almost every person felt the edge, now I never pushed and hardly ever said a word because its not really like me but I was feeling the waters. Near every person in the small city im from is frugal to the point of being cheapscates. The people that buy my knives know quality comes with a price and they dont mind if it stinks of it. The upper middle people are the people who dont blink at spending money for quality. The people that go to a horn scoring can be a wide variety maybee only 2 % are in the upper middle income. Those people once they have tryed your knives will always return and lots of the time with a friend. I have one faithful customer who buys normally 3 knives a year his cousin tags along and normally buys 4 . They haggle on price but when you sell 7 or 8 knives at 200 plus each its a win win . I dont make as much per knife but in the end I have working capital for more materials . You need to have a display box made to keep hands off the knives so they dont dissapear and so they dont get damaged scuffed up and even smudged. I know a smudged knife will not sell. Buy some cleaning products for wipeing blades clean of finger prints. The bazzar you were at is not a place I would ever go look for the more up scale area and display no more than 20 knives in a display case. With price tags visible, this will keep the looky lou people kinda at bay. I noticed women were more interested in the kitchen knives than men in the hunting knives they seem to have a higher demand for a good product and most dont care about price as its the husbands resposibility to pay. Dont give up like the other guys said keep looking for the right place to sell then it will be easier. kellyw

Shokr,
Along the lines of what Hellgap just wrote, You want a up scale type market. I'm not really sure where to send you in Egypt? The one thing I can tell you with certainty is that only about 1% of the population here is the USA is really going to put out the money for a custom knife.

Many more will look, comment & admire, but even if they can afford it?
It's just not that important to them. They rather spend it on cars, clothes, Jewelry, Firearms etc...

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have never went out to try and sell my knives at a show but during our local Boone and crocket /SWF horn scoring night I displayed my knives . I had alot of very experienced hunters look at them some asked what type of steel even though they didnt know whay they asked that question. Almost every person felt the edge, now I never pushed and hardly ever said a word because its not really like me but I was feeling the waters. Near every person in the small city im from is frugal to the point of being cheapscates. The people that buy my knives know quality comes with a price and they dont mind if it stinks of it. The upper middle people are the people who dont blink at spending money for quality. The people that go to a horn scoring can be a wide variety maybee only 2 % are in the upper middle income. Those people once they have tryed your knives will always return and lots of the time with a friend. I have one faithful customer who buys normally 3 knives a year his cousin tags along and normally buys 4 . They haggle on price but when you sell 7 or 8 knives at 200 plus each its a win win . I dont make as much per knife but in the end I have working capital for more materials . You need to have a display box made to keep hands off the knives so they dont dissapear and so they dont get damaged scuffed up and even smudged. I know a smudged knife will not sell. Buy some cleaning products for wipeing blades clean of finger prints. The bazzar you were at is not a place I would ever go look for the more up scale area and display no more than 20 knives in a display case. With price tags visible, this will keep the looky lou people kinda at bay. I noticed women were more interested in the kitchen knives than men in the hunting knives they seem to have a higher demand for a good product and most dont care about price as its the husbands resposibility to pay. Dont give up like the other guys said keep looking for the right place to sell then it will be easier. kellyw

thanks a LOT, you actually gave me couple of good ideas, the case (will probably need to have that made) the tags, cleaning (because ppl have the must-touch-steel twitch!) and of course choose were to sell my knives.

Laurence, i am looking for someone to make me quality sheaths now, and will start looking for serious places to display my knives or contacts. also working on a 'website' which is more of a blog really, just posting bit of info and pics

thanks!

SHOKR, I can almost garuntee that I will have the exact same problem, probably worse. I live in Scotland, highest knife crime rate in the world. It is illegal to carry a butter knife here and people are terrified of any kind of knife. To make it worse, I am 16. People assume that because of my age that I rob shops, take drugs and am in a gang, the fact that I make knives means I kill people. I can't mention that I do it without people either phoning the mother or threatening to call the police. The concept of handmade being better than the glorified spoons that you buy from shops here is unheard of, I had a commission cancelled because the customer heard that it would cost £60, less than the material costs. Trying to sell knives here is a major problem because the people who would buy them want tactical looking things which are frowned upon, I can't make a reputation for myself selling those and there is no market for non tactical knives. People just don't understand, I think that the way to go might be doing some demonstration video and showing as many people as possible.

first of all Liam, making knives at 16, awesome and respect!

you do have a big problem, but still i think you can get around it
you can ship abroad, bigger market!
if you believe you are ready and like your work already you can do video on youtube like you said, review a knife and test it.
maybe send couple to experienced/talented/famous makers to review it
do a giveaway (here, youtube, or any sizeable social media site), get people's attention
ebay?
maybe make custom orders? i mean if people want tactical, arrange before hand with those who want it

i hope that helps, its hard in the beginning but you will manage i am sure :)

SHOKR, I can almost garuntee that I will have the exact same problem, probably worse. I live in Scotland, highest knife crime rate in the world. It is illegal to carry a butter knife here and people are terrified of any kind of knife. To make it worse, I am 16. People assume that because of my age that I rob shops, take drugs and am in a gang, the fact that I make knives means I kill people. I can't mention that I do it without people either phoning the mother or threatening to call the police. The concept of handmade being better than the glorified spoons that you buy from shops here is unheard of, I had a commission cancelled because the customer heard that it would cost £60, less than the material costs. Trying to sell knives here is a major problem because the people who would buy them want tactical looking things which are frowned upon, I can't make a reputation for myself selling those and there is no market for non tactical knives. People just don't understand, I think that the way to go might be doing some demonstration video and showing as many people as possible.

Liam,
i was 38 when i started making knives in in the greater Los Angeles area.
O.J. Simpson The Ex American foot ball great had just carved up his wife along with that Ron Goldman youngster that his ex was having fun with.

You have no idea how many IDIOT like people asked me if I made knives for O.J. Simpson after I said that I was a knife maker?

To be honest about it I wanted to stab the next person that asked me that!:biggrin: These people weren't really my market obviously but it was tough to listen to this kind of stupid stuff.

You will find your true market. Just stay with it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

There is also the problem of the Knives Act 1997 (assault weapons ban for knives), it is illegal to sell non-tactical knives to non military. Luckily I live next to a barracks that will get upgraded soon, I can't do any advertising though because technically I can't sell knives without a license which is a problem. So far the only interest has been from people who probably will stab people as well. I am probably going to send some knives over the pond to see what American types think of them. I'll let you all know how it goes anyway.

Back