first public sale experience

SHOKR, I can almost garuntee that I will have the exact same problem, probably worse. I live in Scotland, highest knife crime rate in the world. It is illegal to carry a butter knife here and people are terrified of any kind of knife. To make it worse, I am 16. People assume that because of my age that I rob shops, take drugs and am in a gang, the fact that I make knives means I kill people. I can't mention that I do it without people either phoning the mother or threatening to call the police. The concept of handmade being better than the glorified spoons that you buy from shops here is unheard of, I had a commission cancelled because the customer heard that it would cost £60, less than the material costs. Trying to sell knives here is a major problem because the people who would buy them want tactical looking things which are frowned upon, I can't make a reputation for myself selling those and there is no market for non tactical knives. People just don't understand, I think that the way to go might be doing some demonstration video and showing as many people as possible.

Liam,
Its my understanding that it is in your Scot's blood to use sharp steel & clubs over firearms etc when settling a dispute or robbing a store etc.. That's why the English forbade you to carry swords & other weapons many years ago and also the origin of the game of golf.
It's not a war club your Lordship! You hit the little ball into hole with this golf club thing here!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Great Thread enjoyed all the story's. Ive ran in to the same problems with people, they looky toughy and run there finger over the edge cut there finger an say wow that's sharp lol Then ask you how much does that cost? And when you tell them $150 they ask why so high i can buy a factory made knife for half that price. They just don't know or what you had to do to make it. Then you go to the other end where you hear someone buys a knife for $25.000 too $50.000, it just makes you wonder about people out there (more power to the maker) It just shows you people are funny.

Selling---you have to stress the increased benefits of your product. This requires product knowledge, both of yours or your competitors benefits. SELL THE BENEFITS !!! ...Teddy

Selling---you have to stress the increased benefits of your product. This requires product knowledge, both of yours or your competitors benefits. SELL THE BENEFITS !!! ...Teddy

Here here...this is exactly the way to overcome sticker shock. If you forge blades with a distal taper you can talk about how the taper spreads out the flex along the taper. If you do an edge quench you can share how toughness and hardness must go together to make a more durable blade. There are many talking points to consider regarding the benefits of a custom knife over a mass produced knife. You just have to come at people from a position of knowledge. The key here is doing that while not sounding superior or making people feel stupid. So it does require some people skills.

SHOKR, there's a good possibility I've visited the bazaar where you were set up. Being able to say that, I know it is not your product which is lacking. I distinctly recall your first post here on KD where you introduced yourself. Afterwards you and I exchanged several PMs discussing my trip to your area and since I have made it a point to follow your posts and progress. You are progressing VERY well having had to overcome the obstacles you have faced. I greatly admire your perseverance.

How often do you visit Sharm? I'm unsure of the current security tempo for the MFO personnel, but if they are still allowed to go into town I would imagine that they would be one outlet for possible sales.

thanks a lot guys for the info

David, thanks!

yeah icremember that too

i went there only twice in my life but i can always use an excuse to visit the red sea :D

It is a beautiful place. One day I hope world affairs will allow me to bring my family there for vacation. I would love for my little girl to one day have the opportunity to dive with me in the Red Sea.

you are most welcome David :)

its safe there btw now, i know people who keep going like theyre being paid for it
but i definitely understand your concern!

Back