First "Real Attempts"

Chris Martin

Ok, guys. Be easy on meworking 1. After digging my burial ground out back for a couple months, I am finally getting a little better. What I have learned.....Take your time.....dont rush and use a tape measure of some sort when drilling blood groove/holes etc in steel.:D A couple of the holes are off by almost an 1/8":eek:

This will be going to an Army buddy of mine.....just retired a couple years ago after 20 years service. He wanted an entry tool/Pry-Bar of sorts and this is what I came up with.....The Pry-Clops. I still need to clean it up, figure out how the hell you guys get your grinds so straight and HT this thing. It is from Aldo's 6150 AKA 5160 on steroids. 5/16" x 2"

It is far from anything like you guys are doing here, but to me its progress and it has given me more confidence in this knifemaking journey of mine2thumbs

I still have to thank all the makers that sent me steel to practice on, without you guys I would not be this far. Sorry I had to murder all that steel in my learning phases:unsure:

Here are a couple pics, yes that is my beer gut for size comparison!
APryClops006.jpg

APryClops005.jpg

Thanks for looking Dogs.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words jrrobertsjr. The other side will remain flat with a small edge. On my next attempts I might try and grind both sides down.

From watching all you makers present your blades I thought this was going to be easy......Man was I wrong:cool: The way you guys finish your blades still blow me away. I still need to take a trip down to see my boy Bill Coye....he will line me up2thumbs

What a Zombie Crusher! I really like it. Can you post a pic of the other side?

Lonestar Johnny

That one looks like it won't need a grave marker.
Looking good Chris, now I know why you've been quiet lately.
Suspenders for the sheath ????? :rolleyes: :D

Rudy

HaHa, thanks Rudy. I can always get a laugh out of you2thumbs

This thing will get kydex, will have Coyote Brown G10 scales. I hope it turns out buddy. This is the furthest I have made it....I am starting to shake in my boots now...haha

Thanks again Rudy!

Chris

That one looks like it won't need a grave marker.
Looking good Chris, now I know why you've been quiet lately.
Suspenders for the sheath ????? :rolleyes: :D

Rudy

Looking good Chris! Jumpin' in with both feet is the only way to go.

This is your journey. We'll follow.

BC

Good lookin work Chris. I find it interesting how you chose to drill holes in the blade. My brother is planning an elk hunt next year and is buying up all kinds of gear. His goal is to have the lightest and most durable gear he can find as he plans to hike in for the hunt. He has asked me to design and make a knife for him to carry on his hunt. The design which we have discussed is a much different blade design but based on a very similar concept.

Thanks Murph!!

Just drilling the holes along the spine lightened the hell out of the blade. I say if he wants a LW designed hunting blade....The drilling will do it, trust me....haha

I like the way it looks. I will use a tape next time though. I have always liked Relentless knives and fantasy knives. So a little tactical/fantasy is what I chose to start with. I have learned a lot just doing this one and I am not even close to be finished with it. Lots of work this knifemaking stuff:eek:

I look forward to seeing what design you come up with bud and thanks again for the encouragement!

Chris

Good lookin work Chris. I find it interesting how you chose to drill holes in the blade. My brother is planning an elk hunt next year and is buying up all kinds of gear. His goal is to have the lightest and most durable gear he can find as he plans to hike in for the hunt. He has asked me to design and make a knife for him to carry on his hunt. The design which we have discussed is a much different blade design but based on a very similar concept.

Man don't bury this one. It's looking good. Just take your time and work through the jitters and make us proud:)

Larry

Chris it is looking good. Remember just like we have talked. Slow and steady. The fastest thing made is mistakes. Can't wait to see it finished.

James

Thanks a lot guys! It truly does mean a great deal to me coming from you Big Dogs2thumbs

James, I have not forgot our conversation...haha It scared me more than anything...but I took your advice and it has helped. I dont even dare to put my grinder on the fastest pulley. 3450 RPM that thing screams at me.

I will slap a 220 j-fex on her this weekend and try and clean it up a little bit. I am waiting for my 105mm Howitzer shell to come in/quench tank:D. My wife works at a coffee shop so I had her boss order me 5 galons peanut oil. I am hoping to have this done within the next couple weekends.

If I dont end up posting pics....we all know why....HT scares the living crap out of me, but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks again everyone! You guys rock.

Chris

Thanks a lot guys! It truly does mean a great deal to me coming from you Big Dogs2thumbs

James, I have not forgot our conversation...haha It scared me more than anything...but I took your advice and it has helped. I dont even dare to put my grinder on the fastest pulley. 3450 RPM that thing screams at me.

I will slap a 220 j-fex on her this weekend and try and clean it up a little bit. I am waiting for my 105mm Howitzer shell to come in/quench tank:D. My wife works at a coffee shop so I had her boss order me 5 galons peanut oil. I am hoping to have this done within the next couple weekends.

If I dont end up posting pics....we all know why....HT scares the living crap out of me, but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks again everyone! You guys rock.

Chris

No matter what happens post pics. This will help someone. And it will get you answers if something goes wrong. It is a learning thing and if you ain't learning then you better get out of the shop for awhile. Like I said slow and easy. it will all come togather. We got your back sunshine.

Back