First Slip Joint!

Justin Presson

My first slip joint is done!!! This was another learning experience. It aint perfect but this was a proof of concept and design prototype. I'm pleased with is, its not a traditional by a long stretch but my modern take on one. The biggest problem I ran into was I do not have a mill or surface grinder so that was a challenge.

Blade and spring are 15n20 and handle is carbon fiber.

I ended up free floating the blade and backspring with washers to avoid the ricasso getting scratched. Not sure it is the best way to construct one but it allowed me to keep the spring and blade the same thickness.

Thanks for Looking!!!
JP20170913_113420.jpg 20170913_113644.jpg 20170913_113610.jpg 20170913_113724.jpg

Last edited:
Looks cool but some will complain on one point. you can see daylight between backspring and scales.

I think that's true of a slipjoint collector, but I also believe there is a whole lot of market out there that doesn't care. Most younger guys have never owned a slipjoint and the gaps on this knife looks just like every liner lock for sale today. The younger generation of users has grown accustomed to skeletonized framework knives.

This is one of those knives that may break all the rules. The question is, outside of the collectors, does Joe Public see it as a rule breaker, or innovative?

Looks cool but some will complain on one point. you can see daylight between backspring and scales.

Yes I knew that would turn some people off and like I said it was more of a solution to a problem and then I got to thinking what difference is it then a framelock with standoffs and thought the floating baclspring was kind of cool I have never seen it.
It will go either way some will hate it some wont. I see both sides.

I think that's true of a slipjoint collector, but I also believe there is a whole lot of market out there that doesn't care. Most younger guys have never owned a slipjoint and the gaps on this knife looks just like every liner lock for sale today. The younger generation of users has grown accustomed to skeletonized framework knives.

This is one of those knives that may break all the rules. The question is, outside of the collectors, does Joe Public see it as a rule breaker, or innovative?

Well said John.
My thoughts exactly. I love a traditional slip joint but alot of people like tactical folders(myself included). I feel its a blend of the two and I think time will tell on my floating backspring here if people like, dont care about it or think it is dumb.

Thanks Calvin, I will bring it to the KC show and stop by your table and talk slipjoints because I think I would like to start making more and yours are second to none.
Thanks Calvin, I will bring it to the KC show and stop by your table and talk slipjoints because I think I would like to start making more and yours are second to none.

It will be good to see you and your knife Justin.

Back