Flame Resistant Pants

springer82

What do you ware to protect your legs while you are forging. My apron goes down to just below my knees. I have had more then a few jeans with burn holes in them. I can tell you they are not made of cotton anymore. Blend would probably be a good word.

Attachments

• 20190613_184704.jpg
    20190613_184704.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I wear fire rated jeans. They are common in the utility power industry another option is Duluth fire house jeans. My apron is from them and wears like iron

I wear fire rated jeans. They are common in the utility power industry another option is Duluth fire house jeans. My apron is from them and wears like iron

What fire rated jeans do you wear? I found out that carhartt has fire rated pants. I might have to order them online.

A number of years ago, I had the folks at Tree Stump leather build me a custom forging apron..... full front coverage from the neck down.....split front leg covers, that go all the way down to the top of my boot(s), with straps to hold the legs in place (straps are just above my knee joints).

I think I paid $200 for the Apron.... but I met up with them at the Blade Show, they custom measured and built it to specifically fit me. (8-9oz smooth leather... to take the burns/abuse.

I just ordered a forging apron from T-Star Leather.
They were at Blade and took my measurements there. He is going to add some extra length to protect my lower legs.
The apron was very nice, heavy duty, and seemed well made.
It won't be that pretty mahogany color for very long though.
Hopefully the last shop apron I'll ever buy.

I know Vombrown on here was making some aprons but haven’t seen him around recently. Just got two pairs of Duluth’s myself. Not fair retardant just hope I won’t blow the knees out so quick!

Last edited:
Go down to you local fire station, I think you call them fire houses? See the guys down there, tell them what you do and ask if they have any spare kit, most stations have load of spare kit, either US kit with stitching gone or a small tear in it or kit that was left over when somebody moved on.

We had load of spare kit each year which every year was collected up and was donated to Africa or another place where they couldn't afford PPE.

The currency required at the fire house will be a jar or two of coffee, biscuits or a donation to the benevolent fund.

I am pretty sure they will help you and invite you in for a coffee and a chat about what you do .:):):)

That worked out well. :rolleyes: So,,,, got some jeans that are FR. ;) That only went as far as the first time out. Then today I melted my socks. Really. I'm batten a 1000!!!

Attachments

• 20190701_170039.jpg
    20190701_170039.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190623_112018.jpg
    20190623_112018.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
If you have a war surplus store in the area look for some wool pants. I had some old Canadian Army pants that were great. Of course now days they may be using something other than wool for their winter combat kit.

Doug

To prevent fires I know plumbers sometimes spray the wood around pipes with water before soldering pipes. I sometimes do that to dampen my jeans a little before using the angle grinder. I only occasionally cut metal. If it was my job I would invest in the appropriate safety wear.

Ed's solution sounding better by the minute? Lol!

Yep'er!!!!
My FR pants are a joke. No more tennis shoes in the shop. Your right. Ed had the good idea.

Owl mentioned these people. I looked them up. There aprons look good. I think it's time for a talk

Last edited:
Back