Folder shield inlays.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I make my own shields to inlay in my folder handles. While I was making a batch today I took some photos to kinda show the process. Please forgive the cell phone pictures.
I use my Green D-2 pantograph to make the shields and to cut out the pocket that it fits into. I have to make patterns for this,they are 200%bigger than my parts will be. I make the male parts then cut the pockets. I silver solder a 1/16" pin on the back of the shield. It will go through the liner and be peened,I don't rely on glue. Because of the way I make my female pattern then use it to make my male pattern they fit together perfectly.
Please feel free to ask any questions,make any comments or offer advice on this process.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 59
Thanks Calvin, I think peening that pin on the back side of the shield is a great idea. Another good reason to buy custom knives.

That's a neat process. When you say you don't rely on glue does that mean no glue there or glue with the pin being the main strength?

That's a neat process. When you say you don't rely on glue does that mean no glue there or glue with the pin being the main strength?

If the handle material is bone or ivory or unstabilized wood I would seal with super glue after peening the pin.
On material that won't absorb moisture,like this micarta,I use no glue at all,there is no need for it.

Back